CSA | Red Turnips


In this week's box: lettuce, garlic scapes, red turnips, onions, rosemary, spinach, broccoli, and snap peas.

I will totally admit that when I looked at the turnips, I thought they were beets. We've never had this variety of turnip before, but raw they tasted just slightly peppery. Kinda like radishes.

Last week's turnips found themselves next to Nutburgers (recipe in Feeding the Whole Family) along with some buttered herbs (recipe in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone).


They were very good, but they tasted like...turnips. We preferred the wine braised recipe from the previous week.

Last week's kohlrabi was gently steamed, mixed with horseradish and dill (recipe in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone), and was served with egg-less sandwiches (recipe in Enchanted Broccoli Forest).


The addition of horseradish wooed Steve, who usually doesn't really care for kohlrabi. I like it no matter what.

On to this week! The lettuce, one scape, and one of the turnips were eaten raw in salads.


And just to keep it real, I'll tell you that these salads were served with some Annie's man 'n cheese. Because it was one of those nights.

One more of the turnips was grated, along with an apple, dressed with a little lemon and parsley (recipe in Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant) and paired with veggie black bean burgers (recipe in The Organic Family Cookbook).


The downside to red turnips? When cut, they do bleed their color, making for a very pink salad. We were a little bit skeptical about the veggie burgers...I added some tomato sauce to the recipe because, as written, we couldn't get it to bind together. But, they were absolutely delicious. A real winner.

All of the spinach, some of the rosemary, and one of the onions were stuffed into mushroom caps (recipe in The Vegan Gourmet) and paired with Caribbean Lime Halibut (recipe in Feeding the Whole Family).


I loved the idea of stuffing our greens into some mushroom caps. It was a fun and tasty way to include them in the meal that wasn't a pile of braised greens. Not that there's anything wrong with braised greens, it's just nice to have a little variety.

We've decided to try to add a little bit more fish to our diet. This is tough for me on two fronts. First, good fish is not cheap. We had just gotten our grocery budget under control, so this will take some maneuvering. Second, it's so hard to find ethical, sustainable options. Especially in Iowa. But, I really do believe that a healthy diet includes a good dose of seafood, so we'll see how it goes.

8 comments:

  1. I can see from all these food photos that I am going to have to purchase some cookbooks you regularly reference. The food looks so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't begin to say, I love your CSA posts. You cook so many delicious dishes and give me some good ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your CSA posts! I look forward every week for new inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I'm impressed with how many recipes you try out each week. (and we have been known to pair Annie's Mac and cheese with big garden salads around here, too :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes Annie's somes out here too because it's that kind of day. I usually thrown in peas and some chopped greens to add a little nutrition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love reading and seeing what you've been cooking!(And for keeping it real!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great collection of dishes! That kohlrabi recipe sounds perfect. I often glance at the kohlrabi at the grocery store, but I have never made anything with them that I truly love, hence I don't pick it up very often. Your dill and horseradish salad sounds great though, so I'll have to get some next time I visit the store, what a great side dish for summer! Also, I've never heard of red turnips, how interesting! You really are quite innovative with your cooking, love the variety created here!

    ReplyDelete