An Eleena Dress






We recently took a weekend trip to the grandparents' house to celebrate a cousin's birthday. A new dress was clearly necessary for such an occasion. Right? Right. So, this is the Eleena dress from Coffee & Thread. I actually was only intending to buy the pattern for these pants, but then I saw Meg's version of this dress on the blog tour for its release and fell in love. Plus, the pattern was on sale...who am I to *not* buy a cute sewing pattern when it's on sale?

Theda measured between a size 2 and 3, so I went ahead and made the 3. It's a little roomy, but at least she won't outgrow it in a week. I was able to make this during the day while the kids played around me. This is something that I've never been able to do before and it felt so freeing! This was also my first attempt at a zipper and an invisible zipper at that. It was so easy, I'm not sure why I resisted zippers for so long. I didn't even use a zipper foot.

The pattern did advise understitching the neckline to keep the lining fabric from peeking out, which I didn't do (I was in a hurry!). I didn't think that it would bother me, but it totally does. Note to self: don't skip this step next time! I also handstitched the lining to the dress along the zipper so that the raw edges wouldn't be exposed. It didn't seem like I was being instructed to do so, but it seemed like the right thing to do. Maybe it's one of those things that an experienced sewer would know to do and so they don't mention it in the instructions? I don't know. I also tacked down the collar in the front and back with a couple of stitches to keep it from flipping up. Regardless, I ended up with a nice, clean finish inside and a super comfy, sturdy play dress.

I really wanted to do the entire dress in the patterned fabric (Village in Mustard from the Abacus collection by Alison Glass for Andover), but I was just shy in yardage. I picked up a just a yard of it when a quilt shop down the road from me went out of business and was clearing everything out. I had planned to do the inverted pleat in the gold (Curry by Kona), but ended up doing the back panel in it as well. I had a scrap of pink (Bubblegum by Cloud 9) left over from her birthday dress and it happened to match the pattern exactly, so I decided to use it for the collar.

Perfect for all the berry picking, backyard playing, and immersion in puddles that goes on around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment