Theda's Muti







I started this little knit dress for Theda way back in June. June! Can you even remember back that far? Back in those days we were sweating it out without air conditioning, spending many days at the pool, and eating lots and lots of homemade ice pops. At that time, she was still a crawler and so I was avoiding any actual dresses and instead favoring shorter tunic-type tops that wouldn't trip her up as she crawled about. 

Silas took his first steps on the late end of the spectrum, walking at fifteen months. So, I didn't worry when month fifteen came for her and she still had no interest in being bipedal. But then month sixteen and month seventeen came and went. We'd take her by the hands and try to help her stand, but she would get so mad at us when we did! She simply did not want to walk and would not be coaxed into doing so until she was ready.

Two days before she turned 18-months-old, she walked ten steps across the room to get to grandma (I missed it!). There was no warm up, no cruising around while holding on to furniture. She just waited until she was ready and then she walked. And then she started to run. And climb. She is a far more daring soul than Silas was at this age, which I'm sure is in part due to differing personalities, as well as to the fact that she has an older brother encouraging her to climb onto the table.

So, the dress. By the time I did finally finish it, she was up and walking and totally able to navigate while wearing it. The timing was meant to be. The pattern is Muti (Ravelry notes here) and I used Quince & Co. Finch in Kumlien's Gull. Love, love, love. Q&C is quickly becoming my go-to yarn. It is a pleasure to knit with and I always know that I'll like the results. And the dress? It is such a sweet little thing, but not nearly as sweet as the little girl who wears it. Whenever she has it on she rubs her fingers over the front and says, "mama!" It's pretty precious.

Joining Ginny.

10 comments:

  1. I've never knitted a baby dress but plan one sometime. This is just perfect. Sweet photos. Visiting from Yarn Along

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is divine. I use to knit for my little girls dresses and skirts. No longer toddlers but I have a little guy and it like knitting a whole new world, Your knitting is beautiful. That little bit of lace is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress is just darling! As is the little girl wearing it, and the love you share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had only known when I brought you home as a newborn in that dishrag blanket that it portended great things to come from you, my darling daughter! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gramma Vera would be so proud of you and all of your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful beautiful dress!!! I love the gentle pleats and the neutral color :) Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous!!! My little girl isn't so little anymore but that is making me wish that I still had a little one to wear something like that. What a lucky little girl to have something knit with so much mamma love!

    ReplyDelete