Puerperium





It fits! As I neared the end of knitting Theda's puerperium cardigan, it sunk in to my pregnant brain that it is intended to fit on babies who are under ten pounds. I don't happen to grow six or seven pound babies. I grow ten pound babies. So, I was a little nervous that my streak of only knitting things that are too small for my children would continue. Lucky for me, this little girl came out just a hair over nine pounds and her cardigan fits like it was, well, made for her.

The yarn is a skein of hand-dyed superwash wool from Girl With a Sword on Etsy, although I picked it up at the thrift store for a whopping 88 cents. Score. I've admired this little cardy for years as it made the rounds on all the blogs, and I'm glad that I finally knit one up (and had a little one to put it on!). It was so quick and easy and is absolutely adorable. And my worries about it fitting aside, I absolutely love having a little handknit that is just for this brief immediately-post-birth period.

Puerperium is such a funny little stretch of time; a mash-up of courtship and recovery and a complete overhaul of rhythms and routines. And for me, the second time around has been so very different than the first. What I remember most about those early days with Silas were the long stretches of silence. I remember preferring the nights to the days. I remember the way the February sun streamed in through the windows. I remember reading a lot of books and spending time just looking at my baby. This time around I have a little helper (and a wonderful one at that!), there is rarely silence, and I haven't read a book for pleasure in who knows how long. The first time around I spent the totality of my time building a relationship with this new little person. This time, the new little person is along for the ride while I continue to explore the world with her older brother.  



Joining Ginny.

11 comments:

  1. She is so sweet and the sweater fits great! Too bad it will only fit for another week! :) They grow so darn fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful!
    Congratulation to you and your family!!
    Isn't it magical to live through this most amazing time once again - and to savour all the differences too?
    The most magical thing for me was observing the tender bond of love growing between the siblings every single day. I still marvel at their understanding 8 months later :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Congrats! Oh how I miss the baby days. My girls are now 26 and 24. Now I'm looking to one day be a grandma. Enjoy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so cute! I've avoided that pattern because I too have big babies. I've made too many too small things and it's so frustrating. It looks so cute on her :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful baby and beautiful knit! I might finally have to add this one to my to-knit list. Thanks for sharing a bit about life with your second baby. I imagine it is so different from the first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Did you make those pants? They're adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! I did make the pants! The pattern is in Anna Marie Horner's Handmade Beginnings. It was my first attempt at sewing an article of clothing and I really struggled with it (due to my inexperience, nothing at all wrong with the pattern), but am totally going to try making another pair. They're just too cute!

      Delete
  7. It's so cute! I've avoided that pattern because I too have big babies. I've made too many too small things and it's so frustrating. It looks so cute on her :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is adorable! I love that it fits, it looks perfect! I'm just about to start one of these sweaters for my arrival in June!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it's beautiful and she looks adorable in it! As someone who grows 8 and 9lb babies I've been there wondering whether this little knit will fit the baby - happily knitting stretches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! The baby, the knitting and her little pants too. Congratulations to you and your family. Such a sweet blessing. :-)

    ReplyDelete