Wet Felting Stones






We did this project last week as part of our Festival of Stones. I had envisioned a nature walk where we would gather large stones to wet felt around, but alas, there are very few locations that I could find that had stones that would fit the bill and where we could legally gather them (our state parks, for example, do not allow you to take rocks, which I completely understand). So, I ended up buying a bag of stones at the craft store (although, I'm not at all convinced that those stones were any more ethically gathered than if I had picked them up off of public land myself...c'est la vie). 

The soft wool, the warm bowl of water, the slick soap...this was a wonderfully tactile experience to warm us up on a cold almost-winter morning. The motion of gently transferring the wet stone from hand to hand was incredibly meditative. We followed this tutorial and had great success. I needle felted a spiral of stars onto my stone and as soon as he saw them, Silas declared that his was in need of a moon.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, I really need to get my hands on soft wool and try my hand at felting with my kiddos. Looks like so much fun! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did this craft in the Summer and loved it too! We just used plain colours but I love the stars and moon design. What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find wet felting so very meditative, and I love the peace and calm that comes when little man and I are doing it. Looks like Silas enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely, felting is one hand craft I haven't tried yet though I had a teacher in grad school who could make amazing felted garments.

    ReplyDelete