Second Light of Advent: The Light of Plants


"The second light of Advent is the light of plants.
Roots, stem, leaf, flower and fruit by whom we live and grow."


As part of our celebration of the second week of Advent, which honors the plant kingdom, Silas chose some plants to bring home that are his and his alone. We totally lucked out and found the shelf and all the plants in the same thrifting trip and so were able to spend an afternoon repotting and getting everything settled.

His watering can lives on the shelf just below and after a single demonstration, he was eager to do it all himself; filling it at the bathroom sink, holding it just so with his thumb over the spout to prevent spills, and walking oh so carefully.

Silas is very much at that stage where he wants to do everything by himself and he is very eager to take on responsibilities and it seems that a few plants that are all his own is a very fitting way to fulfill this need, as well as to add a much needed touch of green at this time of year. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, your Advent spiral just literally made me gasp! It is simply beautiful... My I ask where you purchased it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm quite smitten with our spiral as well. An online acquaintance made it for me. I can't remember if she has an Etsy shop or not. I just sent a message asking her and will post a link if she does! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! If it's special order, we will put it in for next year for sure. With our littlest one being 2 next year, it will mean more I think. For this year, seeing how very "hands on" he is, we omitted the Advent Table. But next year, we do want to incorporate seasonal tables and an Advent Spiral. :-)

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful Advent Spiral - and what a lovely way to celebrate the week of plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful ritual and lovely set of plants. The snake plant looks particularly good :) The violet can be touchy to care for, if you've never had one before. They need special food and you must not splash water directly on the leaves or they will rot very quickly. I'm sure the Silas will be an excellent little plant keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let him pick the plants himself and when he chose the African Violet I definitely gave pause. I've never had one before and I'd heard that they're a bit finicky. Oh well, if it doesn't last very long it's just the circle of life, right? ;) We've always called the tall one a "Mother-In-Law Tongue." I was so happy that he picked it, I've wanted one for awhile!

      Delete