A Hat for the Three-Year-Old




Almost exactly a year ago, I cast on a Baby Surprise Jacket for Silas. I toddlerized it so that it would be big enough for my lanky-even-then-two-year-old and used all scrap yarn from everything that I'd knit for him up until that point. It went well for the first month or so. But then I hit a bump. And then another. And now a year later I am so close to finishing (I just have to sew up the seam), but when I hold it up to him, the sleeves hit right around the mid-forearm. It is far too small and I'm too heartbroken to look at it, let alone finish it and I've lost motivation to cast on anything else. It seems as if I'm doomed to always knit things that are too small for my child!

What's the solution to that? Well, how about an easy knit that I know I can finish in a week and that he can wear right now? Yes, that might do the trick. Silas picked out the hat pattern and the yarn (some unmarked hand-dyed wool that I found at the thrift store) and I added a little scarf. It was a hit with both of us and now we're ready for the cooler weather that is undoubtedly just around the corner.

Joining Ginny.

9 comments:

  1. I just love that hat! I have had the same thing happen when knitting sweaters for myself - I run into snags and end up abandoning them. So frustrating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this looks like a happy camper- love the bright and cheery colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Ugh! If there was only a way to stop kids from growing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My solution is to keep having children and give the item to the next child (or the one after that). ;-)

    I do love the hat and scarf set. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the hat! I am hat knitting right now too, I love the quick gratification that comes with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it and it looks like Silas adores it.

    Way to go mama!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a cute hat! I really like it. I'm currently knitting two hats. One for each girl... Atleast I have another month before cold weather comes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it - you 'todllerised it', I should really try to use that word. Love the colour you chose!

    ReplyDelete