Painting the Clouds









Today was the perfect day to set up the outdoor art table and have a little messy fun. We painted the clouds (inspired by this). A set of acrylic mirrors, some brushes, and a couple bowls of foam adds up to one very engaged little boy. In fact, our art session only ended after about an hour because we had a run-in with a snake (but that's a whole other story, I'm sure). The idea was for him to paint the reflection of the clouds in the mirrors, but he was more interested in just manipulating the foam to see what it could do.

You could set this up with foam paint, whipped cream, or shaving cream, but I don't like to use any of those materials for art projects, honestly. So I whipped up my own version. I used a hand mixer to blend about a quarter cup of water, 10 drops of food coloring, and about a half a tablespoon of dish soap. I used Seventh Generation soap and I was worried that it wouldn't really foam up, but it did just fine. After a couple minutes of mixing on the highest setting I had a beautiful, thick foam that was perfect for painting with.

Silas really liked using the scraper best and once I added a bucket of water to the mix, he quickly got wet up to his elbows and started "painting" everything around him. A fun project, indeed.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm gonna have to save this idea for my Little Man when he's a bit older.

    ReplyDelete