Cloud Dough


Every morning, Silas, Nikita, and I go for a walk. There are no sidewalks in our neighborhood, so we used to just walk the short jaunt down the "big road" to get to a side street with less traffic (but still no sidewalks) where Silas could more safely walk. That was getting pretty stale though, so I had to get over my mental aversion to getting in the car and driving somewhere in order to take a walk (it just makes no sense!). Slowly, we're checking out all the different walking paths and trails throughout town to see which ones we like. We explored a new one today. It was lovely and ended at a park where there were huge rocks to climb, which Silas was quite excited about, but the round-trip ended up being about a mile and a very long walk indeed. 

I have to admit that "three" has been very hard for me so far. I can see the ways in which Silas is growing in leaps and bounds developmentally, and every day I'm wowed by how sweet and kind he is. But, this has come hand-in-hand with some challenging behavior and a demand for all of mom's time. Oh, it's nothing that isn't completely normal, I know, and I keep mentally repeating, "this too shall pass," but it takes some extra squares of chocolate and more than a few deep breaths for this gentle mama to keep her cool these days.

My answer has been to spend as much time as possible outdoors (you can't pummel the pets if they're not around!) and to hold to as steady of a rhythm as possible. For me, this means that our mornings are pretty tightly scheduled: breakfast, circle time, walk, snack, activity, lunch, quiet time. It really does help. Today's activity, to go along with our cloud exploration this week, was making cloud dough (I used plain mineral oil rather than baby oil, though). It really is kind-of a wondrous substance and Silas very happily played with it for quite awhile. He loved how easily it formed and held it's shape from the molds.

It is cool and rainy today. Last night we feel asleep to the sound of the rain, which Steve and I both love. It would be the perfect day to curl up with a book, I think.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there Courtney, three will grow on you, it's my all time favorite age. I think being outside is always a good thing, all the fresh air helps wear out little bodies.
    Listening to rain hit the tin roof is the best way to fall asleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement, Tracey! Most days are really quite wonderful, but what really gets me is the hitting of the animals. I find it so upsetting. I know that it will pass, but man do I get tired of saying "gentle touch!" and redirecting all day long! ;)

      Delete
  2. Three is hard. I think it was my hardest year with Finn and is so far my hardest with Miss P. But, even though it is filled with tough moments, three is also the cutest and silliest. Once they reach four, they are much more "kid".. all of that reasoning and impulse control decreases the cute factor and the very wonderful silly things they say. However, I have to remind myself this, oh... about every 5 minutes on some days! I have 5 parenting books checked out from the library right now, if that makes you feel like you have mama solidarity.... and this is my second kid!
    The cloud dough looks awesome! I just pinned it for my summer ideas list- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the solidarity, Taryn! I need to focus on the positive - the sweetness, the jokes, the playfulness - and let go more of the challenges. Thanks for the reminder. :)

      Delete