Let's Go Fly a Kite







Yesterday was one of those days. We spent almost the entirety of it in the car, running errands. It was one of those days that even though Silas and I spent the whole day together, I felt like we hadn't connected at all. No time for playing. No time for books. Just gathering things and dashing out the door. But in a break between tasks outside the house, he started to rummage through the front hall closet, pulled something out and brought it to me saying, "Mama, what a windy day! Let's fly my kite!" How could I possibly say, "no"?

So we took a 15 minute respite from the rushing and sat outside flying his kite. When papa came home at the end of the day, I sent them both outside for a repeat performance. When they didn't come back inside, I turned the stove off and joined them. Dinner could wait.

It was a timely activity as this week we're talking about wind. Our Circle Time books are Gilberto and the Wind by Ets (a title that I absolutely adore) and The Wind Blew by Hutchins. It's a magical thing, wind, and a perfect phenomenon for a preschooler to explore. So difficult to describe, it has to be experienced. Lived. You have to feel it in your hair and on your face and between your fingers.

*******

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by.

                       ~Christina Rossetti

1 comment:

  1. I love flying kites with my little ones. This, for me, is a sure sign of spring.

    Lovely photos and delightful accompanying books!

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete