Reggio Invitation: Paint with Snow


So I think we've officially given up naps. I fought it for a long time, wanting to hold onto that precious hour or two to myself in the middle of the day, but it was time. We're rollin' with it. But the thing about no naps is that it makes the afternoon so incredibly long. So long. Especially if you have a 5:45 am wake-up call and don't go to bed until 7. Soon (hopefully, soon) we will be able to just go to the park and spend our long afternoons there, but for now it's still too cold to spend extended periods of time outdoors. So, I'm finding that I need to get organized and get creative to keep this little one occupied during all those hours. Yesterday's open-ended art experience was Painting with Snow.


The provocation is a piece of heavy watercolor paper on a plastic try with a container of bits of tissue paper next to it. I invited Silas to put the tissue paper on the white paper in any way that he chose.


Then I brought out a bowl of snow with a melon baller for a scoop and demonstrated putting a scoop of snow onto each piece of tissue paper. The idea is that as the snow melts, it causes the dye from the tissue paper to bleed onto the white paper beneath it. 


Presenting it this order was key, as Silas is a big one for eating snow and I knew that I would never be able to draw his interest back to the tissue paper if the bowl of snow were out from the get-go.


This was a full sensory experience, as he used his hands to smash the snow into the paper and smoosh it around.


And of course, there was some snow tasting at the end of it all.


Silas is newly 3 years old.

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting idea. Where do you come up with all of these clever ideas! I love it!

    Silas is so blessed to have a mama who nurtures and inspires his mind in such captivating ways.

    Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Jennifer!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow - just 3 and no naps! I think my day is long now, I think the nap or at least "quiet time" is happening for several more years. My mom has an in-home daycare and even if a kid says they are too old for a nap, they still have to lie down for some quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love for naps to continue, but sadly, it's just not in the cards for us. Can't force a kid to sleep! ;) Luckily, he will happily do an hour of quiet time in his room.

      Delete