Tree Hugger


It really has been ages since I've knit anything, hasn't it? In a burst of confidence in my ability to get things done, this fall I signed up to be a part of a large scale yarn bombing and knit a tree hugger for one of the trees downtown. Knowing that the project called for size 15 needles and the knitting would go very quickly, I thought I could handle it and was indeed able to squeak in at the deadline with my five-foot-long scarf. It's the second year for this art installation and I was honored to be one of 200 people who knit huggers for 135 trees.

On Sunday, Steve, Silas and I headed downtown for the installation. While I sewed, the two boys wandered around. Coming off of a trip to see the grands the day prior and it being the end of Daylight Savings Time, we knew that our chance at a nap was slim to none. So, we embraced the moment, indulged in hot drinks (a rare afternoon coffee for mama and papa and a hot chocolate for the kiddo) and wandered around campus admiring the huggers, looking at the big buildings and gathering pine cones and leaves. It was a splendid way to spend a sunny, not-yet-too-cold day as a family.


In all honesty, I went to Ravelry and searched for "easy lace," switching to a new pattern each time I changed colors. My offering is incredibly modest in comparison to the beauty so many shared: little knit acorns, pockets of inspiration, buttons, intarsia, ribbon, and more. I'm already brimming with ideas for next year.

Joining Ginny.

6 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I love the colours too! What an awesome contribution to your community!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun! there has been a lot of yarn bombing in my area of Portland, but nothing organized. I keep telling myself that one day, I too with yarn bomb!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of yarn bombing before I saw it on the blog below. The English are big time bombers!

    http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2013/10/yarndale-2013-yarn-bombing.html

    ReplyDelete