{Toddler Explorations} Autumn Leaf Sticky Window


I'm new to the whole "sticky wall" concept. The idea is that you adhere contact paper to the wall with the sticky side facing out and then provide your little one with a selection of objects that they can stick to it. Pom poms seem to be popular, as is using this as a color sorting activity. I had a roll of clear contact paper left over from another project and thought that it might be an easy way to fill an afternoon.

I decided to do our sticky wall on the window so that the light could shine through and make it part of an investigation of autumn leaves.


The first step was to gather some leaves. Silas has always loved being outside, but he has really just entered the stage where if he's going anywhere, he's running. He was excited about gathering up some leaf "treasures," but this was quickly abandoned to just run.


We actually had other errands to run that afternoon, so I was able to set this up as an invitation for him to discover while he napped the following day. 


He liked putting the leaves up, but was frustrated when they didn't stick very well. I don't use a lot of contact paper, but in my memory of it from years past it is much stickier than the few rolls that I've purchased recently.


Those leaves that hadn't completely dried out were easier to stick.


He named each color as he placed the leaf and seemed to have a very strong idea of where he wanted each one to go. 


This has stayed up in our living room for several days now. He pulls pieces off and puts new pieces up. It's a conversation starter for colors, shapes, and types of leaves.

He's developing a sense of what the seasons are. This past summer whenever I would talk about a future activity in the fall I would tell him that "autumn...when the leaves fall off the trees it will be autumn and we can go back to music class..." or whatever it was he was asking about. He is now absolutely delighted to see that the leaves do, indeed, fall from the trees. Any time there is a gust of wind, he throws his arms in the air, smiles an enormous smile, and declares, "the wind blows the leaves off the trees!"


Silas is 2.5 years old.

12 comments:

  1. I love mac tac! There are so many creative uses for it! Love this idea too!

    Thanks for sharing and wishing you a lovely day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea, but in our pet filled house, it would have as much fur stuck on it as it would leaves! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! We have three cats and a dog...keeping the fur to a manageable level is a full time job around here. ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh Courtney, l love this idea.....really simple, but very cool. I think my 5 year old would love doing this. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sticky windows are a toddlers best friend. We love them! Thanks for linking this activity to Tuesday Tots. I'm featuring it today on Learn with Play at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful activity for little ones - I love how it can be done independently I'm sharing this over on Rainy Day Mum this week. Thank you for linking up to Tuesday Tots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing it, Cerys! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! I've seen this idea before, but there's something really spectacular about doing it on a sunny window with leaves.

    ReplyDelete