Summer CSA | Week 13
In our box: green beans, parsley, purple potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, garlic, eggplant, kale, and Sun Gold tomatoes.
Over the Labor Day weekend the heat broke and our days have become so much more pleasant. It feels so good to have that rush of cool air pour into the house in the evenings after the sun goes down. Of course, we're still in dire need of rain. But, the more temperate weather makes it so much easier to spend more time in the kitchen and to even consent to turning the oven on once in awhile. While it was so hot, though, there were lots of chilled salads in rotation. This version of chicken salad, using the veggies we had on hand from the CSA, became a fast favorite.
Last year: Peak of the Harvest
Two years ago: Sausage and Squash
Garden Fresh Chicken Salad Sandwich with Arugula
2 C. shredded chicken, minced
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, & cut into a small dice
1/2 C. finely diced green pepper (1/4-1/2 a green pepper)
1 carrot, finely shredded
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C. minced onion
1/2 C. mayonnaise
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. sweet paprika
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 jalapeno, minced
12 slices whole wheat bread
handful of arugula leaves, torn
1. combine chicken, cucumber, green pepper, carrot, garlic, and onion and mix well.
2. Stir in the mustard and then the mayonnaise, a little bit at a time until you reach your desired level of moistness.
3. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, and lemon juice and mix well.
4. At this point, I reserve a cup of the mixture for my toddler and then add in the jalapeno.
5. Cover and chill for at least a half hour.
6. Toast the bread. Cover one piece with the torn arugula leaves and cover those with a healthy scoop of the chicken salad. Top with the other piece of bread.
Servings: 6 sandwiches
Time: 50 minutes (20 minutes active)