A Visit to the Farm



This past weekend brought the three of us to the farm on which our CSA produce is grown. There were heirloom tomatoes to taste, miniature ponies to pet, the farm to tour, a small tractor for our small boy, folk music, and a potluck overflowing with delicious food. So much goodness.

They are amazing people, our farmers. The land is only 80 acres (not all of which is in crop production), but enough food is grown to feed so many. As we walked among the peppers and kale and were told about the work that they do, from the amount of carbon that is sequestered in the soil to their pioneering efforts in planting beetle banks to their community service work, I couldn't help but be moved to tears. This is important work. Such important work.  And they do it with such enthusiasm and passion.

Coming together like this to put the "community" in "CSA" is an inspiring reminder that the choices that we make really do matter. Big Agra will absolutely not notice whether or not I buy my lettuce and tomatoes from them. I am but a small drop in the bucket. But, my local farmer, on the other hand, will notice. For them, my support is crucial to their success. I can see the tangible results of my purchasing choices and they are manifest in this farm and in this community. I am so lucky to be a part of it.

3 comments:

  1. pretty awesome that they invite you to come and see what they do... doesn't it make eating that much more special?
    I hope to join a CSA next year. We have been out of town too much the past couple of years to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your CSA does this. I love that little tractor! How cool is that?!

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? A red tractor? Green's the way to go (:

    ReplyDelete