Focus


Sometimes I'm really just blown away by the laser-like focus that Silas will demonstrate. We were playing with blocks the other day and when it came time to put them away he started lining them all up, grouped by shape. When he came across a block that went in the middle, a square for example, he would destroy the entire end of the line, up to the point where the new block would go, before carefully rebuilding the whole thing. I just sat back and silently observed while he repeated this process until he decided that he was done. It was really quite a wonder to watch.

I know that if I would have set this up as an activity and invited him to do some shape sorting, he would have happily played along and sorted the blocks. But it's only when he's acting from a place of motivation deep within himself that I see such intense focus. A reminder for me to fade into the background more often and to watch what unfolds.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it so interesting how their brains are constantly organizing things? Phoebe has been really into organizing by color lately, without any prompting from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A reminder for me to fade into the background more often and to watch what unfolds." - YES!! I think we all need to do this more often with our children :)

    ReplyDelete