Summer CSA | Week 4
In our box: spinach, sungold tomatoes, garlic scapes, sugar snap peas, asparagus, 2 heads of red lettuce, broccoli, strawberries, Chinese cabbage
Just popping in quickly during today's nap to give you the CSA rundown. I hope your Fourth is filled with parades, juicy watermelon, long hours spent outside, and fireflies.
Salads! They (complete with the exclamation mark) have dominated our meals lately, using up the lettuce, sungolds, scapes, and some peas. Broccoli was used in pizza, the asparagus in guacamole. I had grand plans of doing a lamb and pea stir fry (something along the lines of this), but last night the prospect of trimming and slicing lamb just didn't seem too appealing. So, I cooked them whole instead and did the rice and peas as sides.
Last year: Peas
Two years ago: Zuppa Toscana
Herb Crusted Lamb Chops with Sugar Snap Peas
For the lamb
2 lamb chops
1/4 - 1/3 C. extra virgin olive oil
2 TBS. chopped fresh mint
2 TBS. chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, grated
1/4 C. finely ground bread crumbs
2 TBS. bacon grease or coconut oil
For the peas
1/2 lb. sugar snap peas, strung and cut in half
2 TBS. butter
1 TBS. chopped fresh parsley
1. In a small bowl mix the EVOO, mint, parsley, garlic, and bread crumbs.
2. Season lamb chops with salt and pepper and then spread on the herb mixture, rubbing it into the meat on both sides. Allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
3. Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
4. In a large skillet, heat the bacon grease over medium high heat. When the oil is quite hot, add the chops. Sear on the first side, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Flip and sear on the second side, undisturbed, for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer to a grill pan and finish cooking in the oven for 6-7 minutes.
5. Allow the skillet to cool for a minute or two and then return to the stove. Add the 2 TBS. butter.
6. When butter is hot, add the peas to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
7. Serve the lamb and peas by themselves or add any additional sides you would like. I added rice and cooked carrots. Sprinkle parsley over everything.
Serves: 2 adults and 1 toddler
Time: 30 minutes