{CSA Recipes} BBQ Chicken Salad

Summer CSA | Week 2
In this week's box: asparagus, strawberries(!), radishes, broccoli, garlic chives, white Japanese turnips, 2 heads of red lettuce

Only two weeks in and we're already starting to get to the "meat" of our veggie selection; items with a little more substance than the leafy greens of spring (not that there's anything wrong with leafy greens--we love them too!). When I start seeing broccoli, I start getting excited. I'm not kidding.

The other night I started a charcoal grill by myself for the first time in my entire life. I actually typed the words "how to light a charcoal grill" into Google. I'm not sure what I would have done had the Internet not been there to guide me. This could have ended in disaster, but luckily for all concerned, I did a passable job my first time out as grill master. We had some burgers and bacon wrapped asparagus, which was amazing. I think that grilling might be my favorite way to eat asparagus, so it's a bit confusing that it's taken me so long to prepare it that way. Better late than never, right?

Lettuce and radishes went into a BBQ chicken salad that used up a bunch of ingredients that were just hanging out in our 'fridge. If you have the chicken and beans left-over from another meal, this one comes together in just the time it takes you to wash all the produce and is an incredibly satisfying dinner salad. Perfect for the upcoming Solstice. 


Last year: Red Turnips
Two years ago: Green Pea Curry


BBQ Chicken Salad

Ingredients

For the dressing
1/2 C. mayonnaise
1/4 C. buttermilk
2 TBS. fresh cilantro, minced
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of black pepper
juice of 1/2 a lime

For the salad
1 large head red or green leaf lettuce, washed, stemmed, and torn
2 oz. spinach leaves, washed, stemmed, and torn
1 C. corn, thawed if frozen
1 C. cooked pinto beans
2 green onions, chopped
8 radishes, thinly sliced
1 C. cooked, shredded chicken
1/2 C. BBQ sauce
1 C. cheddar cheese, shredded
Handful tortilla chips, crushed

1. Add all ingredients for the dressing to a blender and blend until well mixed and creamy.
2. Divide lettuce and spinach between two bowls and then drizzle on the dressing.
3. Mix the BBQ sauce with the shredded chicken, adding more if you like.
4. Top the salad with the chicken and add all the rest of the salad ingredients.
5. Reserve those elements that your toddler will eat and serve in a mini salad (my 2-year-old enjoyed the chicken, beans, corn, cheese, radishes, and chips!).

Time: 20 min.
Serves: 2 adults, 1 toddler

1 comment: