Nests





Early this spring, before we had a chance to clear all the dead grass and debris out of the flower beds, Silas had a good time tromping through it all, seeing what he could see. In a moment of unprompted inspiration he plucked up some brown grasses and declared, "Silas make a nest!" before arranging it on a small branch. And so began our exploration into birds, nests, feathers, and eggs. I have much to share about what we've been doing in this area, but I couldn't resist telling you about the little nest that we made for the birds over the last couple days. 

It's a simple process: dunk short lengths of yarn into glue (we used this homemade version), drape over an inflated balloon, and allow to dry. He wasn't very interested in the glue dunking, to be honest. Much like his mama, this little boy is not a fan of goopy messy things on his skin. He tried it once and then said, "Mama do it." So, he took on the role of project manager, telling me just where on the balloon each piece of yarn should go. This morning, when it was completely dry, he gingerly carried his little nest outside, selected a tree, and placed it up in the branches. His favorite bird right now is the Mourning Dove and I think he's pretty convinced that a pair of them will choose this spot to raise some babies.

6 comments:

  1. that turned out so great. what a neat and simple project.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great! we tried something similar to make decorative balls but the dried yarn didn't work well. Did you use 100% wool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure what the yarn I used was made of. It's unlabeled and was in a big bag that I got at the thrift store, but it feels to me like acrylic.

      Delete
    2. ok, thanks. i think the yarn i used may have just been too thin. I know it was a wool-acrylic blend. I will have to give it another try. Your nest came out way too cute!

      Delete
  4. I love that! Such a neat idea :)

    ReplyDelete