Felt Board



One of the few childhood memories that I still have about Sunday School are the felt board illustrated stories. I remember being absolutely and completely transported by them. The teacher would slowly and warmly begin her tale while putting pieces up on the board. A floor. Some columns. And there it was, a temple and I was swept away. I loved the detail of the pictures. The small coins in-hand at Judas' betrayal the loaves of bread and fishes that appeared out of nowhere.

I was doing an online search for Montessori-inspired games to play with under-threes when I came across the activity called "Trans." It, very simply, is a categorization game in which the child matches different modes of transportation to where they take place: land, air, or water. There are a ton of variations out there, but I thought a felt board version would be perfect. It's visually engaging, it's big enough that Silas can interact with it using his full body, and the pictures and scene are realistic rather than more abstract. 

Silas love it! It's one of his favorite games to play, so I'm thinking about getting or making a set of felt animals to categorize as well. Perfect for today's snowy afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing, Courtney. Oh yes - my husband and I also really liked your music nook for Silas so we are now also thinking of starting one for Bea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used felt boards in Reece's music class last year, such a great idea! I love what you have done, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't thought about those felt boards in years...they are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Good for all ages and story tell. You are so clever.

    ReplyDelete