A Couple Christmas Hats

Two outta three ain't bad. I was able to finish this hat for my 16-year-old niece in time for her to wear it on Christmas morning.


It's the Brambles Beret and it was so much fun to knit! It looks way more complicated than it actually is; just a few rounds of cables and some seed stitch. I used Berroco Vintage in charcoal. It's a little bit darker in life than it photographed  here.


I've never given handknits as gifts before (other than to Steve and Silas) so I was a little bit nervous about their reception. Hats, especially, are such a personal thing that I was worried I would miss the mark on what's "in" with the kids these days. But, I think she really liked it.


I was also able to finish a Farm Beanie for my 13-year-old nephew. This is actually the pattern that Steve chose for his Christmas hat and I thought I'd give it a trial run. It's super fast to knit, but it still as a little bit of interest with the slip stitched ribs (which are a little bit hard to make out, but they're there!). I used Plymouth Encore DK in wedgewood blue and light blue.



Only one niece's hat left (plus Steve's and Silas', but who's counting those?). I'm pretty in love with the Lotus Hat, and can't wait to cast it on. As for reading, I'm just finishing up Playful Parenting, which I would highly recommend. I have a lot to say about it, but I'll save it for another post. My keyboard is acting wonky this morning I don't think I can handle trying to actually write something substantial on it right now!

Joining Ginny at Small Things.

18 comments:

  1. Both beautiful! I'm sure they loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that beautiful brambles hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both hats are beautiful! Have fun with the last, however many that may be :)
    I'd love to hear more about Playful Parenting- it looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely hats! And two out of three is pretty good. I did not get any socks done in time but then I'm blaming it on a knitting injury. Hope you have a lovely new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a ton of hats this year! I actually liked it, surprisingly. It might become a tradition for us. I love the first one, I might need to make that for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hats are lovely! I only just finished my modest list of Christmas knits too - no rush ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely hats, the pattern for the first one is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those hats turned out amazing. and that lotus hat, wow, that is going to be stunning. happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are exceptionally beautiful hats, I'm sure they were well received.
    Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful hats! Happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous hats!! And Playful Parenting...loved it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hats are great Courtney and I think you better get ready, all the highschool kid's are going to be wanting one too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that Beret! Might have to make it for myself. I hear you on wonky key boards. For some reason when I use my iPad to comment on posts it won't continue to write if I delete something. I have write perfectly or nothing at all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that beret! A "must knit" for this new year! I know quite a few girls who are going just love wearing them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice hats. I especially like the grey hat.

    ReplyDelete