Yarn Along: Last-Ditch Effort


One gift down, two to go! (I'll post details and pattern links after the holidays.) If I go on a knitting fury, I might finish the second one, but it doesn't seem likely. I'll keep plugging along, but am buying some chocolate to ease the news of "your gift is coming, but it's going to be late!" Silas has been having some sleep challenges as of late, so my time in the evening is precious, limited, and divided among many things. I'm letting go of some of my expectations.

I picked up The Well Balanced Child from the library and it's fascinating! It's all about the importance of movement in the first three years (and beyond) and the variety of problems (everything from Asperger's to Dyslexia to anxiety to mood disorders) that can be traced back to limited movement in childhood. It's very science-y, but still readable. It made me think of the times that I've observed weird behavior in kids--slumping over the desk in weird ways when they try to write or read, things like that--and this book makes a very compelling argument that such behavior is due to balance problems. So get those babies out of the walkers and Bumbo seats and bouncers and let them move on their own! I flipped ahead to the back and it has a great list of activities to do with kids if you think they may need more movement and suggests story-based ways to introduce them ("let's move like butterflies!"). A great resource.

Joining Ginny at Small Things

6 comments:

  1. That black is lovely. Is it going to be a hat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling of having to let go of expectations! Hoping you find some quiet time to yourself in the coming days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a good book. good luck on the knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your book sounds interesting...and I could agree with you more about the walkers, Bumbo seats, etc, we never had any, kids need to move, to feel the earth below them and find their center.

    Good luck with the knitting and the sleep challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep happy and knitting, hopefully Silas will settle back into a regular sleep pattern again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knit like the wind, friend! You got this!

    Kate's sleep has been way off too... hugs, I know what you are going through!

    ReplyDelete