Little Wool Hats


My mother has no trouble whatsoever in striking up a conversation with anyone, anywhere. I did not inherit that trait, preferring to instead keep to the periphery, but her extroversion has really served me well by extension, I must admit. Earlier this fall she was chatting with the high school kids who work at her small-town grocery store when they mentioned this big box of little boys' hats they found in the basement. Back in the day the grocery store plus two clothing stores were all owned by the same family and filled a row of storefronts on main street. Businesses have changed hands and closed doors since then and this box was headed to the dumpster. Recognizing what a treasure was before her, my mom asked if she could have a few and she selected about a half dozen to give to Silas. 

Vintage, but brand new and still with the tags on, I couldn't believe what I was holding in my hands when she sent them to me. All wool. Adorable. Most of them were marked at around $2.98, but had been on sale for 59 cents. I gave them all a little spritz of vinegar water, brushed them with a stiff-bristle brush and left them in the sun for a day or two. Unfortunately (fortunately?) Silas has inherited his father's enormous head, so only one of them really fits him, but then again, he really only needs one good winter hat. He loves it. Every time we go out of the house he points to his head, says "hat" and proceeds to put on his cap and out we go.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, how precious. Love those ear flaps! We've had some cool days here and there in Houston lately and we pulled out the hats and scarves. My boys found my scarf collection, which includes my own childhood scarf with my name appliqued on, an old wool scarf of my dad's from the 70s and a hand knit scarf that a good friend gave me about 5 years ago. They look so cute in their grown-up scarf choices that people are actually chuckling (in a nice way) at them when we go out on public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love! What a fantastic find. Your mom is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a big head family as well, so hats aren't easy to find. You were so lucky to get those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful find! I love the story behind it as much as the hat!

    This blog is lovely, and I agree that we seem to have much in common. I'm enjoying perusing your posts. I'm glad you found my blog through Zack (my husband's cousin) and left a comment for me :)

    ReplyDelete