Dominoes!

As we anticipate a cool turn in the weather (despite the record-breaking warm temperatures today) we're retreating more indoors and seeing what there is to explore there. It's so fascinating to just give Silas a basket of objects and see how he interacts with them; the way he plays has evolved so much over time.

One of my go-to's is dominoes. For whatever reason we had a ridiculous number of dominoes sets in my house growing up and I have very fond memories of them. I don't remember actually playing organized games with them, however, I just remember getting them out, stacking them, and knocking them down. I've inherited most of the sets from when I was younger and have added a couple more along the way, including a set of double fifteens that we registered for as a wedding gift.


He plays with them in a similar way to how he plays with blocks, but the feel and weight of them is entirely different: cool, smooth, and slick. He stacks them into towers and arranges them on the floor. I line them up and he races to knock them down. 


They make such a delightful plink-plink when they hit each other. We tap out rhythms and make up songs. Recently we've started using them for a matching game in which I give him three or four from two different sets and he matches the double ones, for example. We close our eyes and use our fingertips to feel the holes. I think this would be a great sensory game when he's a little bit older: with a blindfold on, try to count the number of holes by feel only. With two sets, they could also be used as a memory game. And eventually, we can actually play the game!


7 comments:

  1. Oh what sweet fun! My guy (11 today!) still plays with dominoes in much the same way. Of course he plays the game, but he just pulls them out and stacks them, knocks them down, builds, it's really quite fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember setting up dominoes and knocking them down over and over again. When I had my boys, they did the same thing. I don't think I actually played a game of dominoes until I was an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have loads of dominoes. my kids love them, they are such a great toy/game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finn favorite thing right now is building domino tracks!! He asked Santa for a bunch of dominoes so that he can expand. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love dominoes, so much fun!! It is something that gets played with quite often, it never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at those blue eyes! I remember play with dominos t my grandparents house. I used to make really elaborate mazes.

    ReplyDelete