30 Days of Gratitude: Day Two


My Son's Facial Expressions

Way back at the beginning, all the experienced mamas told me to just wait for my baby's first smile. It would make all the sleepless nights and tears and confusion worth it. And while they were right, Silas' first smile did indeed pull at my heartstrings, it has been the whole range of emerging emotions that really makes me melt and that reminds me every single minute how in love I am with this little person. It's the pouty lower lip when he wants something he can't have. It's the way his eyes open just a bit wider when he gets a special treat. It's the way he puts his face directly in front of mine to get my attention if I'm not present enough with him. It's the new scrunched up "I'm a stinker" face he does, on cue, whenever he knows he's being silly. The good taken together with the less than good really drives home for me what a person he is; with his own desires, opinions, and feelings. He is so new and still free from the self-censoring and self-judgment that comes with age. Seeing the world through his eyes and the reactions written so plainly on his face, with all of the mystery and wonder and, yes, even heartbreak, is such a gift. One for which I am eternally grateful.

This is the season of giving thanks. In an attempt to keep my daily gratitude practice at the forefront of my mind, I hope to post here a daily simplicity for which I am grateful.

5 comments:

  1. So sweet and true. Every once in a while, one of mine will make a face they made when they were little and I just have to be the annoying, embarrassing mom and go hug them. He will continue to tug at your strings every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son used to do a dance and make a scrunched up face it always made me laugh out loud no matter how mad I was at something. You have a fun little boy who is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great picture. And yes, such a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Children are so wonderfully complex. Life's greatest teachers!

    ReplyDelete