30 Days of Gratitude: Day Three


Peepers

We weren't planing on adding to our family when she showed up on our doorstop. Steve and I were on our way out for Thai food, three days before Halloween, when she tumbled out from underneath our front steps. It was cold and she lifted the whole front half of her body up into the air in order to nuzzle her head against the palm of Steve's hand. We put out some food and water and went on with our evening. All through dinner I couldn't stop worrying about her, wondering if she was going to be okay. It was Steve, though, who brought her inside. Once we returned, he stationed himself on the front porch and held her tiny little body inside his brown coat as I went inside. I was worried about how the two cats we already had would feel about adding a third and said firmly that there just wasn't room. As the temperature dipped, I opened the door and looked at the two of them out there. "You're not coming in without her, are you." "Nope." "Well, come on then."

The plan was to take her to the vet, get all of her medical problems resolved (and there were many), get her shots, have her spayed and then take her to the shelter. All through that process, I refused to name her, convinced that we could not keep her. Steve had other plans. The morning after that first night when he found her curled up and sleeping inside his guitar amp, he had already welcomed this little life into our family. Penelope was her official name, but Steve affectionately called her "baby PP," which morphed into Peepers. And now we couldn't imagine our family without her. She's about as bright as a box of hammers, but what she lacks in smarts she makes up for with heart. I am so grateful that she is here to keep my lap warm in the evenings and that Steve was there four years ago to let her in the door and to show me that there is always room in our hearts and our home for one more.

This is the season of giving thanks. In an attempt to keep my daily gratitude practice at the forefront of my mind, I hope to post here a daily simplicity for which I am grateful.

4 comments:

  1. I completely understand your story... with way more animals than can comfortably fit in our house, we love each and every one!!
    And- what a sweet cat that peepers is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such a sweet story. i do love kitties.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! Our men are softies. I was happy with one kitty, but the hubs insisted we get a "brother" for our fur baby. I'm so glad we did. Peepers is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story! And a very pretty Kitty! Last year we tried to take in a stray cat. He was such a loving cat, but once we brought him inside, did the vet stuff, etc he was incredibly unhappy. He would tear up our blinds wanting out and one day he darted outside as we were bringing in groceries and we never did find him. It broke our hearts, and I think about him everyday. We put up posters but nobody ever called us and the animal shelter never got him. His name was Patchy. I'm so glad to hear that Peepers did well as an addition to your family! She looks very content! :)

    ReplyDelete