30 Days of Gratitude: Day Five


Crafting with Toddlers

I will confess that I tend to be rather product, rather than process, oriented. In all of the making that I do, the moment of most satisfaction for me is in the completion. For me, it's in holding something in my hands that didn't exist before; seeing and feeling that completed object. Silas is turning that all upside down. And it's wonderful. In lieu of carving pumpkins, we decided to paint them. I thought it would be a way for him to be involved in their decoration with a little more independence and a little less interference from mama. Of course, he had a blast. He gave me very precise instructions on which colors that he wanted to use and then he went to town flinging, brushing, thwacking, and patting paint all over those pumpkins. And when he was done, he was done. Mama, of course, wanted to take his picture with his completed creations, but he wasn't the least bit interested as he had already moved on to the next activity. There is so much I need to learn from this little guy. He, like all children I suspect, has no concept of "good" when it comes to art. He just knows the sensorial experience: the way the paint squishes between his fingers and the sound the brush makes against the surface of the pumpkin. He teaches me to release my attachment to the object and simply revel in the act of making. What a lesson and for it, I am grateful.

This is the season of giving thanks. In an attempt to keep my daily gratitude practice at the forefront of my mind, I hope to post here a daily simplicity for which I am grateful.

3 comments:

  1. <3 that is an amazing lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seems like every day for me. I take out the fancy pants water colors and instruct that if you mix the two colors together you will only have one new color. That one new color spread all over the floor, hands, feet, clothing seems to be the outcome. I constantly have to bite my tongue to allow freedom to explore. process not product!

    ReplyDelete