Our Days | Hisssssss


This Morning: Our day started off early, but wonderful. Coffee and pajamas. Stories before breakfast. A bit of running around outside to play in the wet and the leaves. Then a visit from friends and our two little boys trading words like old pros.

This Afternoon: I heard an odd bang come from the basement and looked down the stairs (there is no door) to see that my dear mouser Sappho had a snake cornered right at the foot of the stairs. I. Freaked. Out. I called Steve. I called my Dad. I called my Mom. I took pictures, which made their way to my brother for identification. The one thing I didn't do? Actually go downstairs and throw some sort of box over the thing to keep in contained. So, despite a visit from the very friendly exterminator and several hours spent thinking and talking and worrying about nothing but snakes, there is still a fox snake skulking around in my basement. Steve is in right now reading bedtime stories to Silas ("What did we see today, Silas?" "Hissssss!") and as soon as he falls asleep, Steve and I need to figure out how to proceed. Do we set traps? Do we just hope he makes his way back outside via whatever venue it is by which he entered? I know that snakes can, indeed, climb stairs so I have jammed towels in all the cracks around the baby gate in an attempt to thwart any attempts to join us upstairs. I know it's not foolproof, but I figure I can make it as difficult as I can for him. It is clear that I am a nature-girl-in-progress. I try to have love and respect for all of Mother Nature's creatures, but those that slither take a little (or a lot) more effort for me to even like, let alone love. Ick.

8 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! I would freak out too. It is one thing to see a snake in nature, doing it's thing where it should be doing it, but in your house, yikes!!! I hope it finds its way outside, soon, very soon.

    Sleep well, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! i just looked up fox snake... they look HUGE! at least it isn't dangerous to people, just rats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEK! I have mice in my walls, the snakes stay outside so far. Although we only have garter snakes and milk snakes here. My husband loves snakes and picks them up (bare hands) to move them out of the area where Frodo plays outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry! I can only imagine how that must have freaked you out. Hope you are able to figure out how to deal with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you shouldn't have to worry about mice or rats in your basement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just this morning we ran into a rattle snake on our morning walk. Ack! That's not the thing you want to run into with two babies. Luckily for us he was still cold and not moving so we had time to back away. I too took pictures the nut job that I am. S found it an amazing topic to talk about all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you had me giggling on this one mama! i am a nature girl to the heart, but when it comes to certain aspects of nature IN my house, that's where i draw the line. i hope you were able to quickly and smoothly get that piece of nature our of your space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It could be worse. My uncle lives in a cabin in the woods, and years ago when there was alot of rain, he woke up in the night with a black snake in his bed!!!

    ReplyDelete