CSA | Delicata Squash


Over the weekend, most of the trees turned from green to brilliant reds and golden yellows. This morning our black walnut shed all of her leaves in one long sigh. Fall is here. The proof is in our CSA box. Full of beets, parsley, kohlrabi, sweet potatoes, and squash. As we shift to autumn produce I get a little less comfortable in the kitchen. These are things that I didn't grow up eating. I struggle to think of ways to include them in our meals and recipe ideas don't come to me quite as readily. This is getting easier and easier as the years pass, of course, but we're still easing into is slowly. Keeping things simple. I will hide behind my hands as I tell you that many a beautiful squash from CSA's past ended up in our compost pile because I just didn't know what to do with them. This year, though, I've made it seventeen weeks without sending a single CSA item to the bin and I don't intend to start now. As a side dish to some pasta, I fried up some delicata squash rings. Salt. Pepper. Parsley. Sweet and good. Simple.

Delicata Squash Rings
adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

1 small delicata squash (feeds two as a side dish)
Coconut Oil
Salt, Pepper, to taste
Parsley, chopped

1. Peel the squash and cut off the ends. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and then slice into rings about 1/3" thick.
2. In a large skillet over medium high heat melt 2 generous tablespoons coconut oil.
3.  When the oil is hot, put in half the rings. Cook for about 5-6 minutes. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Remove to a plate lined with a brown paper bag to drain.
4. Repeat with the remaining rings.
5. Sprinkle with sea salt, a few cranks of freshly ground pepper, and parsley.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! The other one was about a year and a half old, so I figured it was time. :)

      Delete
  2. You should be very proud of yourself for no waste, that is quite an accomplishment.
    I think when cooking squash the simple way is the best, it allows the flavor to really shine. I froze many quarts of grill roasted butternut squash that we eat all winter with just a little salt and pepper, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks really really good.
    i love this time of year, all the hearty, earthy vegetables come up.
    i am very impressed with nothing going in the bin. you are a true inspiration. i look forward to your CSA post so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish. We LOVE squash, I have a few recipes over at Your Green Baby, I will send you the links. We also add it to things like chili, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love squash in any form! I did grow up eating them because my dad was an avid gardener-lucky for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look yummy! FINALLY found a CSA around here that I think I'm going to like. First box of goodies was mostly greens (Kale, Romain Lettuce and Spinach), but also some beautiful tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, potatoes and two gorgeous spaghetti squashes. It's been wonderful! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM, that looks awesome!

    Thank you for writing such an engaging and inspiring blog. As a Mom of 2 I appreciate the time and effort that goes into relating such valuable information to the interests and lifestyles of the general public. I also am a Mommy blogger at http://forevertogetherfamily.blogspot.com. I am committed to seeking ways for families to connect emotionally, physically, and often. In the fast pace of life, the concept of making time together a priority, or keeping the messages explained in your blog at the forefront is difficult, if not impossible. Thank you for all that you do to help families safe, informed, active, and happy. I will visit your blog often.

    Thank you, take care.
    Emily Stevenson

    ReplyDelete
  8. 17 weeks well done! I've got Pumpkin Tuesday going on all this month on my blog. I'm celebrating winter squash with a new recipe every Tuesday! Check it out if you need inspiration.

    ReplyDelete