Crafting for Fall



I have big plans for our little screened-in porch. So far, only one project has come to fruition, but the others are patiently waiting their turn. This is the space where we have our Rice Table and we're spending quite a bit of time out there lately. On these fall days that are so wet and mucky when Silas is no less enthusiastic about going outside, but on which mama needs to just sit for a moment, we head to the porch. We get to breath a bit of fresh air and feel the breeze with the added benefit of it being a contained place to play. So, since we're spending so much time out there, I figured it was time to treat it like an actual room and make it a bit more homey.

This bunting is from Maya Donenfeld's Reinvention. It's a really quick project and it uses recycled materials, which I always love. The flags are cut from those plastic Tyvek mailing envelopes. Surprisingly, I didn't have any in my stash of mailing materials, so I turned to Freecycle, which came through for me once again. Just cut them out, paint with a thin layer of tempera or poster paint, wipe off the excess, sew in some double fold bias tape (or a ribbon, or whatever you have) and there ya go. The Tyvek has an inherent crinkly property, which makes a really pretty, kind-of marbled effect. I absolutely love the way they turned out and they perfectly coordinate with the turning leaves (I totally planned that. Right.). Fall.

5 comments:

  1. Very neat idea. It does make the porch a cheery spot, particularly since you coordinated with Mother Nature so well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bunting, it just makes everything feel just right. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bunting Courtney! Silas is one lucky little boy to have you for his mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I just checked out Reinvention from the library--so many wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely! I really like the marble effect!

    ReplyDelete