CSA | Throwing it Together


Menu-making is on the downswing and throwing together meals with whatever we have on hand is the method of the hour. I'm trying to see how long I can go before I have to go to the grocery store. Fruit is usually what does me in, but with the strawberries and all this melon, we're doing pretty well.

In this week's box: carrots, potatoes, melon, onions, garlic, patty pan squash, kale, strawberries, tomatoes, and peppers.

We blended up the leftover topping from last week's polenta pizza to make a sauce for a chicken and arugula pizza. Monterrey Jack cheese was all we had on hand and it complimented the chicken and greens perfectly.


We tried a variation of moussaka that used lasagna noodles, patty pan squash, loads of mushrooms and onions, and was topped with egg and feta cheese. It was a tad labor intensive, but very good. We ate the leftovers for two nights in a row. Frugal? Yes. Exciting? No.


Last night Steve was stuck at work late, so dinner was a deux. I roasted our two eggplants earlier in the day and threw them in the blender to make baba ganoush. Fresh tomatoes and jalapeños from our garden went into guacamole. I chopped up a bunch of veggies, toasted some whole wheat pitas and let Silas "dip dip dip" to his little heart's content.



12 comments:

  1. you did it again... awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Although, I feel like I took the week off, what with having the same meal three nights in a row. ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I wish someone would have clued me in to dip night sooner. It's awesome!

      Delete
  3. Dipping dinners are favorites in our house. So simple, and so fun. And now since I've thought about dipping food in other food, I want fondue. Your food posts always make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm....fondue. Nothing quite like a vat of melty cheesy goodness!

      Delete
    2. we are big on fondue around here...now I'm craving it too!

      Delete
  4. Love me some baba ganoush! Dip dinners was the easiest way to get the boys to eat their veggies when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so wonderful, isn't it? I'm on a quest for good dip recipes now...

      Delete
  5. How creative! I've had a many an evening where I look into the refrigerator or the pantry and throw a bunch of things together - I pretend I'm on one of those cooking shows where they give you a basket of food and you have to prepare it in 15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete