CSA | The Joy


In this week's box: peppers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, strawberries, celery, kale, potatoes, onions, and garlic. I have to figure out what to do with all those chili peppers!

It's been a challenging week in my household. I won't lie, I feel tired and prickly and in desperate need of finding my center. Dinners have been thrown together at the last minute with whatever we have on hand, meaning that it's been simple around here. So simple, in fact, that they didn't really justify any picture taking. So instead of doing the rundown of meals for the week (although, we had a Bulgarian tomato and dumpling soup tonight that was really spectacular--I'll write more about it later) I thought I would share some of my thoughts about why I do these Thursday CSA posts.

Someone asked me once why I didn't just "take a break" from eating the way that we do. I guess the assumption was that mindful eating is a burden. That it takes a lot of work and I only do it because I think I "have" to. This really couldn't be farther from the truth. I think the way that we eat is a joy. It is joy that I feel when we go to the Farmer's Market and say "hello" to the actual people who grew our food and the friends who also help to support them. It is a joy to open that box each week and see what surprises it holds. The food is better for us, sure, but it also tastes wonderful. We love trying new recipes and figuring out ways to broaden our culinary horizons. The meals that we make really are delicious. This isn't because I'm some sort of cooking savant (I'm not. At all.), it's because we use really good ingredients that are local, organic, and in season. We honor our bodies by honoring the food that we choose to nourish them.

It is with these things in my mind that I post here every Thursday. Sure, my motivation is practical, in part. It's very helpful to have a record of what we've tried from year to year and what recipes we really liked. But, really there's no reason to make all that public record, except that I'm really excited about food. I come here every week hoping that someone will see that eating mindfully isn't drudgery. It's variety. It's exploration. It's feeling satiated and healthy. It's crunchysweetleafypungentcrisp. And, yes, it's joy.

I watched this documentary this morning and have been forwarding the link to everyone I know. It's a really great introduction to why GMO's have no place in our food supply. It's less than an hour and a half long and it's viewable online for free for the next couple days. Check it out. It left me feeling frustrated and angry, but also spurred to action. 

6 comments:

  1. i love your posts about your csa. i agree eating well isn't a chore for us either. i feel great eating well and it allows me to be creative.
    looking forward to you tomato soup recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy is the right word. Eating food grown close to home, by people who love what they do is amazing, there is nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I'm right there with you word for word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a colorful photo! Why would you ever want to give your beautiful way of eating a break? I love your CSA posts and reading about what you have been cooking!
    I think I will have to give that documentary a peek later tonight. I normally show my students The Future of Food (also about GMOs) but it is a little more science heavy than some of them can really grasp. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you've had a hard week. I hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an inspiration C - you make us all see how good eating well can be! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete