CSA | Healing Pepperpot Soup


I was a very bad food blogger this week and neglected to photograph this week's CSA box. There were many goodies in it, including strawberries (still!), sweet potatoes, kale, purple potatoes, grape tomatoes, carrots, garlic, onions, and oodles of peppers and chilies. I'm still trying to make it to the end of the month without going to the grocery store, so meals this week were very simple. I'm kind-of digging on this simplicity thing.

We did try one new dish, though. I started to feel a little tickle in the back of my throat early in the week. My body is very predictable in how it lets me know a cold is coming on and I knew that I still had time to head this one off at the pass. I threw together this healing pepperpot soup with all the good whole foods that we had on hand that are known to ward of illness: chicken broth, hot peppers, and miso. I'm not usually one for spicy dishes and this one definitely had some heat! It was my first time cooking with Anaheims and a little bit really does go a long way. I reserved some of the chicken and potatoes for Silas to eat and I'm glad that I did; I don't think he would have liked the heat. It worked, though. No cold for me.

Healing Pepperpot Soup

Ingredients
2 TBS coconut oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 C. chicken, cooked and shredded
2 medium to large green bell peppers, diced
3 Anaheim peppers, roasted, skinned, seeded, and minced
4 potatoes (I used purple, but red or Yukon gold would also work well)
1 tsp. dried cilantro
1 tsp. cumin seeds
5 C. chicken stock
salt and pepper, to taste
6 tsp. white miso, divided

Directions
1. Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium to medium high heat. In it, saute the onions, green peppers, and garlic.
2. Add the chicken, the Anaheim peppers, potatoes and seasonings and let them saute for a minute or two.
3. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. To serve, put a teaspoon of miso into each bowl. Ladle a small amount of broth into the bowls, stir to dissolve the miso and then fill the bowls.

4 comments:

  1. This looks fab, could you send a bowl over? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to file this one away. We love a little heat in our food and if it's healing, that's an added benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! I have been on a soup kick lately. Hope you keep your throat-tickle at bay!

    ReplyDelete