Weekending


This weekend...

I did a (very) small batch of tomato canning. It got even smaller when one of my jars broke in the water bath. This has never happened to me before and while I'm sure it would have been heartbreaking to have it happen pre-baby, it was devastating to have it happen after spending an entire day jumping through hoops to keep the little guy occupied enough so that I could get the job done. Three lonely quarts now sit in my cupboard where before there were none, so that gives me hope.

Saturday was a family day. We've learned that Silas needs at least twenty minutes in a new location for him to warm up and start to get involved. He spent the first half of our time at the park happily watching the other kids play while eating strawberries. Then he was ready to join them.

Outside: mowing/cutting/burning/planting our first ever fall garden. Inside: cooking/blending/baking/zucchini pancakes/zucchini brownies/squash soup/cherry lime spritzers/our first ever batch of homemade granola.

Joining Amanda at The Habit of Being.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! Sorry about your jar... I would have been disappointed too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer. But I'm glad you saw the bright side. S needs time to warm up to kids as well. She always has , and at almost three she still needs 45 minutes before she will start to play with others even ones she knows. She is an observer and needs to really see and understand the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i would have been upset as well about the canned tomatoes. ((hug))

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first child never warmed up to join in the fun. So Silas is super social to me :) Bummer about the canning troubles. I think I would have needed to count to ten to calm down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the broken jar. But you have three more jars than I do, so you're moving in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the broken jar, at least three of them made it though :) There is always a bright side.

    Reece is slow to warm up too. He likes to sit back and watch for a bit, and then sometimes he slowly makes his way to the group, other times he doesn't.

    Homemade granola is the best! There is no going back now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those broken jars are heartbreaking! I've had it happen too many times - most recently with pickles. It's always such a shame. But yay for the three that survived! They're all the more precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like lots of littles need time to decide to get involved. Both my boys were like that when they were young. Clayton, at almost two years, still is and almost never interacts with others until he has known them for a good long time. Evan is totally outgoing now, though he was similar to Clayton as a baby. We had new friends over today and he ran out to welcome them the minute they pulled in the driveway, though he had never met them before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always so disappointed when a jar breaks,but it does happen. At least you have some jars in the cupboard. I have to pressure cook my tomatoes here because of the climate and do about 200 jars every other year so I do understand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All sounds lovely. My Molly is still the kid that needs time to observe before she joins in, it's sweet. zucchini brownies? I'm intrigued. Always looking for things to do with that stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the brownies! The recipe is here: http://foodpluswords.com/2011/07/zucchini-brownies/

      Delete
  11. I love canning my own tomatoes. Your sure that its clean and a fresh batch of tomatoes was used. Its like a hobby of mine.
    artificial turf

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love homemade granola! Yummy! I've never tried canning precisely for that reason. I know I'd never keep my boys occupied long enough to get the job done and I'd end up stressed and probably not be the nicest mommy in the world. Not worth it! Plus, my tomato crop this year was not stellar - I'll be glad to get a few tomatoes for salads!

    ReplyDelete