CSA | And the Zucchini Begins


You wouldn't know that we're in the middle of the biggest drought since the Dust Bowl by looking at my CSA produce. I'm so fortunate to have access to farmers who work so hard to make sure that we have an abundance of such good food. A positively huge share this week! It included purple potatoes, broccoli, parsley, carrots, strawberries, sungold tomatoes, onions, Swiss chard, sweet corn, eggplant, garlic, zucchini, tomatoes, and a watermelon.

The strawberries, of course, were eaten immediately with a healthy dollop of homemade whipped cream. Silas has discovered that one of the joys of being an only child is that he gets to lick both beaters. The melon was also soon cut up and eaten for snacks.

The sweet corn was boiled and eaten for lunch right away on Saturday. Coming from Iowa, I've grown up to be a wee bit of a sweet corn snob. If it was picked more than 6 hours ago, I'm not really all that interested in eating it.

Last week's cabbage and some carrot went into a creamy cole slaw, served with tempeh sloppy joes.


I only discovered tempeh within the last year and a half or so and we've become huge fans. 

This week's trio included a lemon basil potato salad, sweet apple walnut kale, and a salad of white beans, sungold tomatoes, and red onion.


I keep trying to get Silas to eat beans and it's been hit and miss. This week was a hit. He absolutely loved the white beans and kept asking for more, more, more.

Next up is a simple broccoli and mushroom stir fry over brown rice.


This recipe came out of the Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone book and while it was good enough, it wasn't spectacular. I need to remind myself to only make stir fries that I find in my Chinese cookbook. They are consistently superior to anything else that I've ever made.

In a race to use up all of our potatoes, I made our old standby potato pizza. 


Although similar to this version, I substituted purple potatoes and left them in chunks rather than mashing them up. It was quicker and a nice change of pace. 

Our first zucchini of the season was sauteed in oil with some capers and served tossed with spaghetti. 


This was one of the first zucchini recipes that we made when we joined our first CSA four years ago. At the time, it was just a way to use up produce, but it's actually come to be one of our favorites. The zucchini takes on a touch of sweetness, which is nice.

And finally, I couldn't stop myself from buying a bunch of peppers at the farmer's market. They just looked good! I roasted a couple and tossed them with French green lentils, orzo, parsley, tomatoes, cucumber, and feta for a salad covered in a cumin lime vinaigrette. Yum.


18 comments:

  1. All of the food looks delicious! You are so talented at creating dishes that look appetizing and I assume taste GOOD and are good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my talent lies in my ability to read cookbooks. They have the real skills, I just follow their instructions! :)

      Delete
  2. I love veggies on photo (well, to eat too) - it always looks so fresh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veggies photograph surprisingly well! Meat on the other hand....

      Delete
  3. It all looks delicious! We have already had about 20 zucchinis from our garden.... and we are already starting to sneak them in everything so we can use them up before they go bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread and muffins are my go-to sneaky zucchini foods. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh this looks so wonderful!!! This kind of food makes me so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! All the meals this week were counted as successes. :)

      Delete
  6. yum! i'm the only one in my house who truly loves zucchini! So sad I know, but I do find plenty of ways to sneak it in...and of course zucchini bread is always a hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day I'll learn to actually love zucchini! We're still transitioning from "tolerating" to "liking."

      Delete
  7. You my dear are the ultimate veggie eater. I am so inspired by all of these meals. We've started eating vegetarian this week thanks to your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! I look forward to hearing how it goes!

      Delete
  8. I love seeing all the wonderful meals you prepare, they always look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks delish. We are huge tempeh fans here...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your csa looks great - it is amazing since you say your lacking rain this year. We are too. I have to admit my new csa is so-so so far - hopefully it's just an off year. I always find it fun to see what surprise we'll get in our box each week. But then again... I want to make sure I can use it all up and not waste any so it would be nice to know ahead what we're getting... your recipes look yummy.

    ReplyDelete