Building


Silas spends a fair amount of each day in independent play. I play with him too, of course, but while I'm washing dishes or starting a load of laundry or writing on this here blog he entertains himself with any number of activities. Sometimes he selects a book, climbs into a pile of blankets, and quietly turns the pages. Sometimes he empties out all of the kitchen cabinets and pesters the animals with a variety of cooking implements. Lately, though, he's been really focused on stashing and stacking. If he ever gets a hold of something that I know I'll need in the near future, I have to pay very close attention lest he hide it somewhere that only an 18-month-old can find. That aside, I think it's so amazing to see the choices he makes when he's filling up containers with objects or stacking things. He has a logic all his own. Stumbling on his creations, like the tower above, that he built when I wasn't even in the same room is a peek into how his mind works. I think it's fascinating.

4 comments:

  1. i love watching what wee ones find to occupy their time when they don't think anyone is looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do love to build and hide. Wait until he start with legos. Those are the most fun...especially when you step on one with bare feet...Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are amazing little beings aren't they? I love these tiny little glimpses into who they are and how they think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to watch...I find my guys at 10 and 11 still do very similar things.

    ReplyDelete