Bean Bags!


Well, "rice bag" would actually be more accurate, as that's what's really inside. The bag with the leftover 20 pounds of rice from the sensory rice table has been sitting on my kitchen counter for the past month or so. I keep meaning to decant it into a big 5 gallon bucket, but that would mean that I'd have to go to the garage, get a bucket, wash it... So, I've been staring at it every day as I do dishes and this weekend inspiration struck. Bean bags! Sure, they'll only use a cup or two of the rice, but hey! We need bean bags!

I cut up two old shirts of Steve's; one into 5" squares and the other into shapes. I appliqued the shapes on, sewed the squares together with a double seam to make sure the rice stayed in place and voila. The rest of the afternoon was spent lining up buckets and sharing my love of The Grand Prize Game with Silas. Awesome.


Joining Meg at Things We Do After Nap.

12 comments:

  1. Great job! Hope Silas keeps them to the bucket and not winging across the room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the first thing he did with them was to wear them as a hat, although I'm sure that full-fledged throwing isn't far behind. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome!I made Finn some bean bags many years ago and he still uses them almost daily. And in fact, I have recently been requested to make some more, for outside use, so that we can play corn hole. Since you are a midwestern gal, I am sure you know what corn hole is, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, indeed. I also live in a college town and corn hole is the number one activity of the college set when the weather is warm. :)

      Delete
  3. So great! I love me some bean bags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! We made bean bags for our boys a while back...I wish they used them more but they usually get overlooked for the sake of balls. But my ice rice animals have been a little more well received. If you want to use a bit more of that rice, that's another idea for you. :)

    http://mommyrepeat.blogspot.com/2012/05/animals-for-ouchies.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for including the link! I think I'll have to make some of these!

      Delete
  5. So much fun!!! I haven't made any for Reece, think I might have to, thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one of the first toys I made for Sofia. I use different kinds of beans and rice. Feeling the different textures and weights is really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those look great! i *cough* bought some for the nacho when he was younger and we realized he needed extra sensory input and he loved them. i'm sure silas will love those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea ~ which I have been meaning to do forever. I will take this as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete