Weekending


For the first half of this weekend I hobbled around as if my right leg had been amputated at the knee. Steve was away and I was parenting solo. Two bedtimes all alone. Growing up my dad was (and still is) a trucker who was gone all week and home on the weekends. I truly have no idea how my mom managed. I listened to Car Talk and drank my coffee while Silas played on the porch. We headed to the market where we heard some music, mingled with friends, drank a strawberry smoothie, and lingered for as long as possible. Silas blessed mama with a good nap and our afternoon was spent roaming thrift and grocery stores. Home to an empty house and an unexpected call from papa: home early. Bliss.
We celebrated with bacon breakfasts and lots of making...lemon rosemary spritzers, bread, scones, and a big dinner for three. After Silas went to bed we watched Big Brother, indulging in our shared love of bad reality TV. Right now, our money's on Frank for the win.

Joining Amanda at The Habit of Being 

9 comments:

  1. I really do take my hat off to single parents, like you I truly depend on the hubs to be my other half when it comes to this life...Sounds like the second half of the weekend was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you did just fine! Once a month my hubby has a guys night out and I have to fly solo for the day and night. It's only bedtime that is hard. Putting to littles to bed at the same time who sleep in different rooms is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you handled all very well, way to go mama!!!

    Silas looks so big in this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it sounds like you did a great job parenting solo! i know it's hard when my mr. travels but it is worth it - i love the excitement of the kids helping to pick up the house and help prepare a special meal in anticipation of his arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh aren't those naps so valuable when you are solo? Sounds like a great weekend and he came home early!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so tough, isn't it, but wonderful to have a partner on which you can rely so much. I think the same thing about my own mom - my dad traveled at least several days out of the week for work and she was alone with four of us little ones. The memories I have of going to the grocery store! I feel a little whiny sometimes when I complain to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. silas looks so big!!!! sounds like a yummy weekend~

    have a great week~

    katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute picture of Silas, he always looks so busy! what are lemon and rosemary spritzers? they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful and sweet, the missing and the homecoming. xxx lori

    ReplyDelete