Transferring Water




A short while ago I was introduced to the blog The Montessori Motherload. What a great resource! I'm always looking for opportunities to introduce Montessori activities into our daily rhythm, but I often feel like I don't have the time to seek out new ideas. So I was overjoyed at this collection of quick, well-explained activities. With just a quick glance in the morning, I have a couple ideas of things to try that day.

Yesterday we tried a new transferring activity using a turkey baster. Let's face it, we play with water all day long and most of it is pretty unstructured, but I liked the idea of introducing this new element (the baster) in a more structured manner, plus my baster actually would be getting used!

Silas was very interested. We only have one water squirt toy, so this was a fairly novel concept. There was much concentration, squeezing, transferring, and squeezing again. And of course, when we had tired of this we returned to the familiar pouring and a little bit of splashing. Success.

P.S. A Life Sustained has its own Facebook page now. Check it out!

8 comments:

  1. S is 2 1/2 and we do lots of pouring exercises as well. Ours have become a little more elaborate though involving funnels and glass bottles. Thanks for the link! I like Living Montessori as for a resource. You should get the book Montessori at Home. It's an e-book for homeschoolers. It's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the book recommendation! It looks like it would be perfect for us!

      Delete
  2. thanks for the new blog to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we love water play, so much fun! Thanks for the blog link to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute- we have a little water mill that turns when you put water in it- my boys STILL play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a clever way to use on-hand resources. And hopefully foster a love of cooking. ;) And I will definitely have to check out the new blog!

    We're touring a *real* Montessori preschool tomorrow as a potential option for Trinity. I'm still not sure if I want to send her to preschool yet, but she is SO excited about the prospect of school. And I know having other kids to play with would be wonderful for her. We'll see. Maybe I'll just mentally catalog a bunch of their activities and keep her at home until she's 30. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the tour, I hope it's a wonderful option! We're torn on the whole preschool thing too, but we have a couple years to decide at least. And I'm all for keeping them home until they're 30. ;)

      Delete
  6. so fantastic, I need to check out that website.

    ReplyDelete