Ode to Rhubarb

I intended to post this tribute to my new favorite spring vegetable (yes it is!) about a month ago, but I had one last batch of joyously pink rhubarb that I was going to make into something wonderful before I did. Well, that last batch is cut up, in my freezer, and who knows when I'll actually make the pie I had planned for it. We had rhubarb in four incarnations this spring, which wasn't nearly enough if you ask me. There are still a couple vendors at the Farmer's Market that have a bunch or two and I'm tempted to snatch them up the next time I have an opportunity.


First up was an apple and rhubarb pandowdy with homemade almond ice cream. Oh, what a start to the season! We've had an ice cream maker for years, but it's mostly sat dormant. No more!


Of course, there had to be a strawberry rhubarb pie in the mix. It's Steve's favorite and I'm happy to oblige. Every time I make one though, I look at it and it looks like something that I wouldn't like. Something that I would politely decline at a family reunion. But, then I take a bite and I remember. Oh, yes.



This rhubarb fool with candied strips of rhubarb on top was a perfectly sweet way to end a meal. The candied strips were so addictive! After eating them all (okay, I shared a little bit with Silas. He agrees that they're awesome) I've decided that I need to build a solar dehydrator or pick up a used electric one the next time I stumble upon one. Rhubarb leather is a must.


Finally, we enjoyed a rhubarb buckle with ginger crumb and homemade vanilla ice cream. One of the fun side effects of trying all of these fruit desserts is that I'm learning all these new words and how to discern between the different dishes. A slump? Buckle? Pandowdy? Tart? I know what they are now!

4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! More food photos! You're killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it all looks so delish. And ruhbarb leather, I will have to try that next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take one of each, please! I think you could start a little cafe/diner in your town, Courtney. I'd be happy to come visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby insist I try making something with rhubarb. It's not that I don't want to, it's just you don't find it here. Not even in the farmers markets. All your desserts look lovely!

    ReplyDelete