Chalk!




  

Yesterday Silas and I did a little project...we made sidewalk chalk! Well, I made and Silas mostly supervised and then product tested. There are tons of tutorials for how to do this out there and they're all pretty much the same. Mix Plaster of Paris with water and paint, pour into a mold, and let dry for a half hour or so. Tempera paint is what everyone seems to use, but I also tried a soy-based paint that worked well, although you do have to use quite a bit of paint (no mater what kind you use) to get any sort of color to the chalk. I found that coin wrappers made a piece of chalk that's perfect for a one-year-old's hand, although I like the idea of re-using toilet paper tubes.

This was Silas' first time playing with chalk and he loved it. Unlike crayons that you have to sit down to use, he could draw a little on the sidewalk, walk a little, draw some more, walk some more. It was a far more active experience, which seemed more satisfying for him. Hopefully it will cool off a little bit so our time outdoors is a little bit more enjoyable and we can draw some more!

Edited to add: I found the tutorial in Eco-Friendly Crafting with Kids and this video to be especially helpful in doing this project. To do it, I just taped one end of the coin wrappers closed and stood them up on a paper towel-lined cookie sheet (they stood very well on their own, even when empty). I mixed the Plaster of Paris, water, and paint in a plastic cup that I pulled from the recycling bin. Once I got the color that I was after, I just poured the mixture into the wrappers, tapped them a couple of times to loosen any air bubbles and then let them cure for about an hour. Then we pulled away the paper and started drawing!

Joining Meg at Things We Do After Nap.

16 comments:

  1. In my almost thirty years of being a mom I have never once thought about making my own chalk, that is just amazing! You Rock Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Tracey (though only 11 years of being a mama), what a fantastic idea! The bonus for me is that the kiddos could do this on their own...I'm off to google this:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never occurred to me a person could make home-made chalk. Your photos are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I have never heard of making chalk, either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressed...I made play dough, but not chalk. I will have to say that it is the funnest thing to watch their faces when they make that first mark...first the big eyes, then the grin. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! My boys loved that too, but I think they have passed that stage now - they weren´t that keen when I bought new ones this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love homemade chalk! I've always used TP rolls, but I love the coin roll idea! And I'm glad to know the soy-based paint worked. I've never tried anything like that, but I will next time! My kids (Gabe in particular) like chalk better than crayons/markers/anything that is restricted to paper and their "coloring wall." In fact, after the remodel is done, they'll both have chalkboard spaces on their walls like I did when I was little.

    Silas is tooooo cute. Seriously, I just want to squeeze him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've never thought of making chalk! thanks for the info~ the grandkidlets LOVE chalking with their grampie!
    i can't believe how much silas has grown!

    have a great week courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just look at him go! Amazing how many changes happen in such a short time from baby to toddler...to my 19 yo! Ack! My kids loved sidewalk chalk, but I never got around to making homemade chalk. Love the coin wrapper idea. How did you get the chalk stuff into the coin wrapper easily? Or wasn't it? Maybe give a little tutorial on your steps?

    ReplyDelete
  10. he is cute! My son just tried to make fountain pen ink. He did make it but it was very very light. He thinks he needs to use way more blackberries. Anyway he had fun :) (he's 19 yo and still crafty adventurous)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea, using the coin wrapper tubes! Those would be so much easier to handle than a toilet paper roll size! I made chalk before with the boys but we did it in tiny muffin tins and jello molds. Once our little gal gets to be old enough we'll try it in the wrappers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool Courtney!!! Thanks for sharing. We love chalking on our front walkway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is great! Never though of doing this before, though we have done the reverse and turned store-bought sidewalk chalk back into paint. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos are absolutely adorable!!! This is such a wonderful idea!!! It's feeling a bit cooler here in New York so hopefully it will spread to your neck of the woods!! : )

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very fun. I've been contemplating trying this out for a long time. Maybe I'll finally give it a go!

    ReplyDelete