CSA | Garlicky Pizza


Being out of town, even for just a day, can really throw me off track with our meal planning. Not eating at home on Sunday put us behind, but we just might squeak by and get everything eaten up before Saturday. In this week's box: turnips, red leaf lettuce, celery root, bok choy, spinach, garlic scapes, and rosemary.

Right away on Saturday night we knew we wanted to use the bok choy. I used two of our five small heads in Yakisoba (recipe in Feeding the Whole Family).


So good! Lots of veggie slurping going on.

I got ambitious and did three (!) separate dishes on Monday night. Half of the celery root was braised in cream and Dijon mustard (recipe in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone). A bit of the rosemary went into beer braised amaranth with a creamy almond sauce (recipe in Amazing Grains), and half the turnips were shredded and mixed with green apple and parsley for a raw salad (recipe in Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant).


I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that if I presented this dish on Top Chef Tom Colicchio would tell me that it's way too monochromatic and not at all appetizing. And he would be correct. I was really worried about how it would all taste, actually. I handed Steve his plate, told him to eat while it was hot and then left the room to tend to the crying toddler. When I returned he had practically licked his plate clean and uttered the words, "Best. Vegetarian. Meal. Ever." It all really just clicked. The celery root was really creamy and delicious, the raw salad had a great fresh citrus note, and the grain was warming and full-bodied. I never would have guessed.

I've had two CSA goals this year. The first is to send absolutely none of our produce to the compost pile. In years past I fall behind or get lazy or whatever and haven't been able to use up our veggies before they go bad. Not this year. The second goal is to make better use of the herbs we receive. Instead of just tossing them into a soup, I want to choose some dishes that really celebrate the herbs themselves.

So, for the rest of the rosemary I knew I wanted to make something special.  It was kneaded into dough for a rosemary focaccia, topped with onion (recipe in Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant), which was served with lettuce salads.


Eating this warm-out-of-the-oven is critical to having a pleasant evening. So good.

The rest of the celery root was shredded into a wild rice gratin (recipe in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone).


This was tasty, but a bit time consuming. I was able to do parts of it throughout the day, get it all assembled and then have Steve throw it in the oven when he got home. We ate up the whole thing, though, so it was definitely a crowd pleaser.

And finally, the garlic chives from last week went into a garlicky three cheese pizza. This is a very mild-flavored pizza with the focus on the cheeses.


Garlicky Three Cheese Pizza

One ball homemade pizza crust
1/2 C. pizza sauce
1 C. ricotta cheese
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch garlic chives
1/4 red onion, diced
6 oz. Fontina cheese, shredded
1/4 C. Parmasean cheese, shredded

1. On a pizza stone or pan, stretch your dough out and pinch up the crust.
2. Spread on the pizza sauce.
3. In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with the lemon zest, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and then spread over dough.
4. Cover the pizza with a generous snipping of garlic chives.
5. Sprinkle on the red onion.
6. Cover with the Fontina and Parmasean cheeses.
7. Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes.
8. Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Looks really good, I do love home made pizza! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Every time you do these posts I get really hungry! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun to see the new recipes you're trying. We tend to fall back on the same old uses and dishes. Granted, they're our tried-and-true recipes for a reason, but this is a reminder that dusting off some of the cookbooks and branching out is good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this all looks so good! And I'm excited to check out that grain book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look delish, homemade pizza is the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks way inspiring! I mean braised celery root, beer braised amaranth with a creamy almond sauce (goodness, I HAVE to try that!) and raw shredded turnip salad! I mean this is the way I think I should cook when we end up eating "normal food." Wow, everything looks absolutely delicious! You're really inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pizza is going on my list for sure! Looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm drooling a bit! You did an incredible job. I've had a hard time keep up with our CSA box so it's nice to hear you had that problem as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We give up on our weekly homemade pizza in the summer, it is just way too hot. Glad to see you are still able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pizza looks amazing. I wouldn't have thought of fontina cheese. I'm going to have to give this a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to quite reading you CSA posts at lunch time...tummy is grumbling at me now. It all looks so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your CSA posts are quite inspiring! so much so that last night, with my oldest son, we decided on a vegetarian menu for this week (we haven't mentioned this to hubby, lets just see if he notices!)
    I've never used fontina cheese on pizza before, it usually goes in Polenta here, I guess it melts like mozzarella so would be ideal for pizza.
    Bon appétit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUMMY!! Thank you for posting. We are so trying this.

    ReplyDelete