Garden On My Walls





I'm pretty particular about what I hang on our walls, choosing artwork by family members over mass produced prints. I like the idea of every item having a history and a story to tell. I also love to scour the thrift stores for unique pieces. When I came across these two photographs I literally jumped at the chance to buy them (and they were half price! $15!). They were so hard to photograph because the frames have regular glass instead of non-glare and these images don't do them justice at all. They are of a camellia and a tiger lily and the detail is so rich and deep. Looking at them, I'm reminded of the first time I saw an image by Edward Weston; I never in a million years imagined that a photograph (somehow, calling them "pictures" doesn't seem appropriate) of a bell pepper could be so sensuous and could evoke such emotion. But they do and these portraits of flowers elicit the same response from me.

These prints are signed by the photographer - Ruth Weller Nelson - and a quick Google search of her didn't yield too much information, other than that she was a local and is buried here. She was actually a contemporary of Weston, which is apparent in the similarity of their styles. A relative of Nelson's posted on a message board that Grant Wood (another local) made some of his photorealistic paintings from photos and that Nelson had taken. She was sworn to secrecy and only revealed this information to her family when she knew she was dying of ovarian cancer. Whether or not this tidbit is true, these are amazing prints and I feel so lucky to hang them in my living room

Joining Lady Cordelia.

8 comments:

  1. Courtney, the art work is exquite! What a lovely fine and for half price too. I love artwork from 'real' people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I prefer original "art" from a source I know as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice score, these are beautiful! i'm a sucker for etsy when it comes to wall art :) especially letterpress prints where each one is uniquely printed by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. I love the story behind the art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. now those are a beautiful score! love them and i also love weston's photography! love your arrangment,too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous. We are the same about our walls, we have lots of art done by family and friends, also prints from shows of our favorite bands, mostly wilco, but some other fun as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow- those are so very beautiful. they look so great on your walls...the color of the walls against the black and white.
    nice find! I love finding art while thrifting!
    thanks for joining, so nice to have you.
    XO

    ReplyDelete