Family Silhouettes



This was my project last weekend. I've been wanting to make family silhouettes for awhile now and seeing some super cool silhouettes in the latest Paper Source catalog gave me the nudge that I needed to finally get them done. I'm so happy with how they turned out! I especially love Steve's; it looks just like him! This was a really quick and easy project. I just took profile photographs of all of us and printed them out on regular computer paper. I put a plain sheet of paper on top of the print-out, held them both up to a window and traced the outline of the image. These I cut out and used as a template to trace and cut out the profile in the black paper. Then I mounted them on the gray ovals, made little name plates, cut a sheet of scrapbook paper to fit in the frame and there ya go. My initial vision had each of us in our own frame, but that would have turned this into a $30 project instead of a $10 one.

I've had mixed feelings about silhouettes over the years. My mom loves them and so there were always beautiful vintage examples on our walls when I was growing up and I remember loving to look at them. My negative experience came in kindergarten when our teacher made silhouettes of us all. I remember having to sit very still in front of a light while she traced the image. On the day that she had them all cut out, she held each one up and had us guess who they were. No one could guess mine so she, in a moment of questionable  judgment, asked the class if they thought it was a boy or a girl. Everyone called out "boy!" I was mortified. But, I think silhouettes may have come full circle for me. I'm back to loving them.

9 comments:

  1. It came out just lovely Courtney. I am glad you didn't let the words of a misguided teacher ruin what has turned out to be a great picture.
    I did one of all of my children a few years ago for my mom and she loves it. My mistake? I didn't make one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you have a nice profile. Mine is horrid and always has been. I don't think my mom hung the one of me and my sister because mine was so bad...bless her. It is a really cool idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these are great! your profile looks lovely with your hair pinned up like that! I love the hint of a beard/stubble and the little curl at the back of Silas's head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! What a fantastic idea, I'd like to have my kids try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out beautifully and I love the gray paper you chose for the background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Awe C, I am glad you came back around to like them, they came out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are awesome! I am so inspired to do this - will have to share! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!! My parents had some of me and my two brothers on the wall growing up and they were a favoirte of mine to look at. I tried doing one with my oldest, but the lighting was awful. I'm going to put this on my growing list of things to do with the boys this summer! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete