CSA | Lettuce Soup


I'm not sure how we managed to not get through all our produce this week yet...we worked hard at it! In our box was: a head of butter crunch lettuce, carrots, radishes, asparagus, garlic chives, rhubarb, and two bags of spinach.

The lettuce, carrots, and radishes will go into salads tonight and tomorrow night. The rhubarb has a date with a cream cheese pie that I just haven't had the time to make yet.

The asparagus went into a cold soup with orange and pistachio (recipe in The Vegan Gourmet).


The flavors were very subtle, but quite complex and very good.

One bag of spinach was mixed with eggs and tomato in this spinach feta quiche (recipe in Feeding the Whole Family). 


This is one of our regular dishes when we have spinach on hand. I was going to add in the garlic chives, as they pair really well with eggs, but I completely forgot.

Half of the second bag of spinach went into salads with a balsamic vinaigrette (recipe in Feeding the Whole Family).


The second half of the bag went into Florentine Mac and Cheese with Chipotle Chicken Meatballs (recipe modified from Just in Time).


This has been a go-to meal for us for awhile. We're suckers for pasta.

Finally, last week's head of green leaf lettuce went into lettuce soup. It was very good, although, both Steve and I were still hungry after two bowls, so it may be better as a course in a larger meal. This makes just enough for two adults and a toddler with only a very little bit left over.


Lettuce Soup

2 TBS EVOO
1/2 onion, sliced
2 green onions, chopped
1 head green garlic, chopped
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 bunch chives, snipped
1 tsp. dried tarragon
1 head green leaf lettuce (including ribs), torn
3 C chicken stock
1/2 C. heavy cream
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

1. To a soup pot add EVOO and heat over medium heat.
2. Saute the onion, green onion, and garlic until translucent.
3. Add the spices and lettuce and cook until the lettuce is completely wilted.
4. Add the chicken stock, bring to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Allow to cool slightly, then carefully blend in batches in a blender. Return to the pan.
6. Stir in the heavy cream, adjust seasoning if necessary and simmer until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
7. Serve with a sprinkling of chive blossoms and a slice of crusty bread and enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Awesome I have been waiting to see if when you were going to post this. I can't wait to try it this summer along with the asparagus guacamole.
    I'm putting both recipes on my Monday links post on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum yum - these pics makes me hungry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... love the photos! You've been busy in your kitchen. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love seeing what you're cooking...great inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always have the most wonderful meals planned. Lettuce soup? That is a new one to me and one I can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! We are sucker for pasta too. I used it as a base all winter for all the greens we got in our CSA. We had so many braising green I felt like I turned into kale and chard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lettuce soup! I'm beyond smitten, I just love the idea of a soup made with lettuce! And asparagus soup with pistachios, that seems like heaven to me. All in all, these meals seem wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had lunch and I'm hungry again after looking at all those yummy pictures! That spinach salad looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're my hero for inventing lettuce soup. i'm always overrun with lettuce from my csa (starts next week) and this year i'm gardening on a much bigger scale to prove i don't need a csa membership next year... so i'll be even more overrun, and eating lots of lettuce soup! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You give me too much credit! I benefited from many other lettuce soup recipes that I consulted when throwing together ours. :)

      Delete
  10. I love creamy green soups! I don't see why lettuce wouldn't work as well as any other green. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all looks so delish Courtney, and lettuce soup, I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. all sounds so good! I'll have to try that soup. I have used Feeding the Whole Family so much its falling apart! Love that cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  13. inspired ! thankyou...off to make a few yummies now

    ReplyDelete