CSA | Asparagus Guacamole


Week two of our CSA brought us a head each of red and green lettuce, a bag of spinach, two bunches of asparagus, green garlic, and radishes. Another impressive week's worth of veggies!

The first bunch of asparagus went into creamed asparagus and shrimp over toast.


This was surprisingly the fastest meal all week; only 15 minutes from start to finish. The actual name of this dish is "Bay State Wiggle", a name that I find not at all appetizing (recipe in Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant).

We made it through the head of red lettuce and the radishes by having huge dinner salads every night.


We haven't touched the second head yet and we're getting another this coming Saturday. I think we may have to resort to trying lettuce soup. Steve has expressed skepticism.

The spinach makes a regular appearance in our daily smoothies. 


This is one of the best ways that I've found to get some extra greens into all of our diets. No one notices a little bit of spinach with all that fruit in there.

Some of the garlic and the other bunch of asparagus went into guacamole. 


A friend passed the idea for this recipe along to me. It essentially just substitutes pureed asparagus for the avocado in your favorite guacamole recipe. It's really tasty and a great way to eat a local version if you don't live where avocados grow. I reserved some of the pureed asparagus mixture for Silas before adding in the jalapeno and onion. He ate a whole bowlful.

Asparagus Guacamole

1 bunch asparagus (3/4 - 1 lb.) trimmed, roughly chopped
2 green onions, minced
1 green garlic, minced
handful cilantro leaves
1/4 C. sour cream (or yogurt)
juice of 1 lime
1/2 an onion, chopped
1/2 a tomato, chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
1 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste

1. Blanch asparagus in boiling water briefly (1-2 min.). Drain and run under cold water.
2. To a blender or food processor add: the asparagus, green onion, green garlic, cilantro, sour cream, and lime juice. Blend until well mixed and creamy (if you have a good blender--mine is not, so it didn't get all that creamy).
3. Transfer mixture to a bowl and fold in the rest of the ingredients.
4. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
5. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I love asparagus, so I can't wait to try that! Thanks for sharing. All you food looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, can't wait to try this. I will have to veganize it, but that should be easy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the word "veganize"; it sounds like a super power! What would be the vegan substitute for the sour cream? Silken tofu?

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so tasty! What salad dressing are you enjoying on all this salad? This is where we tend to fall into a rut.

    I shared your post today with our CSA farmers, so they, too, could enjoy the asparagus guacamole! Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for passing the link along and thank YOU for the guacamole recipe in the first place! As far as salad dressing goes, Steve is a Hidden Valley Ranch kind-of guy and I have an preternatural love for balsamic and oil. There's a local-ish family that makes infused balsamics and sells them at the Farmer's Market that I love.

      Delete
  4. When I saw this asparagus guacoamole I thought what thatn can't be right. This sounds good!!!!! Can't wait to try it. The salads look delicious. Will you post the lettuce soup when you make it I think I hear do it a few years ago but never followed up on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did try the lettuce soup and it was good! I'll post about it in more detail next Thursday. :)

      Delete
  5. yum! I may have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. everything looks delicious! i loved the surprises in each week's CSA box when we joined our local csa... unfortunately the summer i joined we completely gutted our kitchen and i found myself scrambling to keep up with the boxes! (your lettuce commment reminded me of this) something about cooking on the campstove on the front porch for two months :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that sounds good. i love asparagus but have never tried it pureed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! It all looks sooo good! I really want to make the creamed asparagus and shrimp over toast. I literally drooled just looking at it! ;)

    ReplyDelete