Yarn Along


Knitting: I'm starting to feel like a broken record...still working on the Kanoko Pants. This is the start of week four of knitting them. Soon, my pretty, soon. Only half of the second leg to finish and then we're done, done, done. I blame Silas (isn't that always the case?). I think he is very much on the verge of walking and so we've been incredibly clingy on mama lately. Sitting next to me at the dinner table is no longer good enough. He has to sit in my lap while we're eating. He also just had a huge growth spurt. The shelf with the "supervision only" books, which used to be well out of reach, is definitely now reachable, as are quite a few other things that used to be safely too high up for those little hands. Sheesh. We've reached the last stage of moving things up (there's no more "up" for them to go!) so I think it's time to move stuff out. Spring's the time for projects like that, right?

Reading: I just started The Paper Garden, a biography of the woman who invented mixed-media collage art in 1772. At the age of 72, she picked up a scissors and started making these incredibly detailed paper collages of flowers that are so intricate, it's difficult to discern them from the real thing. Right now, the author is trying to situate her in the history of art and is, very beautifully, comparing this work to the other domestic arts. So far, it's absolutely fascinating.

Linking up with Ginny at Small Things.

19 comments:

  1. I remember the days of having to put things out of reach. They do grow fast, don't they!?! Interesting read....I may just have to check it out. Have fun with your Spring project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of your book...72 she started this? Amazing and inspiring! Thanks Courtney for letting me know about I book I must read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pants will get done in due time.

    I love your knitting basket, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I love the basket too! It was a bit of an indulgence that I'd had my eye on for quite awhile. But, when the fair trade baskets went on sale at my co-op, I couldn't help myself. ;)

      Delete
  4. I know how you feel. I have been working on the same two pairs of socks and the same shawls for months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do grow so fast...There is no out of reach in my house. My first born is now 18 and 6'2" and my baby is 16 and 6'. I feel like such a runt now...and miss the days when they wanted to sit in my lap at dinner. Enjoy every moment of it. I am feeling the same way about my sweater...to the point that it's sitting on the sofa still....I really should finish it, but I'm so "over" it. I'm going to look into that book. It sounds so fascinating and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve is 6'8", so I anticipate having similar problems! ;)

      Delete
    2. My shelves are not high enough either! Especially on the things I am using, and somehow "NO, do not touch ANYTHING on my dresser" still has not sunk in. I even have a HIGH dresser, on purpose too. This too shall pass. ;)

      Delete
  6. It is always easier to move things out than to say "no" a million times a day. Have fun rearranging the house! (still love your knitting project!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. isn't that the way it is though, just when you think things have settled, those little ones make another leap.
    that book sounds amazing. i am going to have to add that to my growing list of books to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely photo-- makes me want to go out for a picnic, book and knitting in tow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that picture. Makes me just want to walk right into it, grab a book, a cup of coffee and sit with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now there's a book that sounds fascinating! And don't worry about the broken record thing - those pants will eventually get done. Love your basket - I have one similar to that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a nice picture, I am reading a book now, but I need to get my yarn and needles out, esp today it feels like a cool, crisp fall day outside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the longies are coming along! and that book sounds fascinating...must see if i can track that down at the library.

    poor silas...it's a stage and it shall pass. for now just try to enjoy all that togetherness ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw man, I so wish I could sit outside, have a coke and a smile and finish my book as I work on the blanket I started knitting in 1982!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, they get too big fast. Moving everything out is good...and then they figure out how to open all the doors and cabinets where you locked everything away. Sheesh is the perfect way to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sheesh is absolutely right :) And there will be a whole lot more of them too.

    The knitting will get done..soon. Your book sounds very inspiring, adding to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have been through the moving things "up & out" stage 3 times already. I use to scrapbook...all my supplies are collecting dust for now, but we are making so many memories in the meantime. I will have lots to scrapbook about one day ;)

    ReplyDelete