Maple Seed Mobile








It was last year that I first noticed the clusters of maple seeds that would fall to the ground after a good, windy day. I had really only seen them as individuals or pairs before. They were so beautiful that I have been thinking about them since. After our first storm of this spring, Silas and I woke one day to find a beautiful scene. Individual maple seeds had fallen during the night and arranged themselves into a poem on our yard, with clusters of seeds punctuating the verses.

We did a little bit of gathering and then made this simple mobile to hang above our spring nature table. I re-purposed some string by tying it to an 8" embroidery hoop. Then, I used thread to tie the clusters to the hoop. It hung this way for awhile in our dining room, in need of something. Silas came up with the answer. He found some bark from our maple tree that had been shed and he helped me gather it up. I hot-glued them to the hoop and our little project was complete.

I've always had a love affair with maple seeds, and now they are one of the first things that we see when we make our rounds around the house, pulling curtains and waking everything and everyone from their slumber. Their delicate, but strong, veins silhouetted by the rising sun, reminding us of new life and new beginnings.

13 comments:

  1. I am so disappointed that our red maple seeds are gone for the season, but I will remember this idea for next year, it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty and creative! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! It is "raining" maple seeds in our yard as we speak. The wind just keeps blowing them around and around. I, too, love the veins. I cannot help but pick up a handful and toss them back up in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, how beautiful!

    my grandmother called the maple seeds 'whirlybirds'...i love that you made them into a mobile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing with our spring carnival. :) I featured your post here: http://sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/spring-carnival-is-nearly-over-and.html

    ReplyDelete