Box of Treasures

A couple of weekends ago, Steve's parents stopped by for a brief visit on their way through town. They left what I have come to call the "Box of Treasures." I went through it after they left and each item was better than the last, leaving me in tears by the end of it all. It was a collection of Steve's clothes from when he was little, a baby blanket hand-knit by (we assume) his grandmother, and some adorable hand-sewn outfits. 


There are two of these adorable little vintage cotton and rubber diaper covers. What a progressive message for the era, no? The second one says "If lost, return to Grandma."



It's supposed to be colder this week (we had frost last night!), so I have to get him in this little sweatshirt ASAP. And the Loan Ranger flannel PJ's? To die for. But the piece de resistance...


 ...these rompers, hand-sewn by Silas' great-grandmother. I simply can not get over how cute they are and as soon as we're in the heat of summer, he will be wearing them every day. Seriously. In all of these homemade things, I can't help but think of the loving hands who made them. As I told Steve's parents, these are precious things. They join us to our past and our personal histories. All of Steve's grandparents and his biological mother passed away before Silas or I could meet them. As silly as it may seem, these things provide a connection to them. A tangible link across time and space and a way to attach Silas, in some small way, to these people whom he will never meet, but whose love can be felt none-the-less.


12 comments:

  1. Aww - the cutest little behind there in the first pic! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful gift to receive Courtney! I have several items that were my grandmother's that I passed on to my daughter. I feel the same way you do, there is a connection and love I want to keep alive even though they have never met....it's what makes us a family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! That really is a box of treasures! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so wonderful! I love stuff like that. I have a box full of books that my boys had when they were little that were mine. They didn't get to wear any of my baby clothes but they did get a blanket each...and a couple of stuffed animals. There is definitely something special with "passing it on."

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did indeed receive a lovely treasure! He looks so grown up in his new "old" clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, these are incredible. The stories attached to these beautiful handmades...so special. And I adore that romper on sweet Silas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly precious. I would have been in tears as well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a box of treasures for sure! and i don't think feeling that there's a connection is silly at all- there's love and energy poured into every one of those pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so awesome C! The only thing better than handmade gifts is to be able to pass them down a generation! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an amazing treasure box to be given. I am lucky enough to have a baby blanket of mine that was knit by a family member. My mom passed it on to me when I was pregnant. There is connection for sure. I can't wait to pass it on to Reece to be shared with his children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a wonderful collection! I love physical items such as those that enable us to touch and feel the past with our own fingers.

    ReplyDelete