Thrifting Finds




First of all, I want to thank you all so very much for your kind words and warm thoughts for my friend yesterday. I have no doubt that she felt all that positive energy and was strengthened by it. I'm always so amazed by the incredibly supportive and loving community that I'm a part of here. Thank you.

In lighter news, I had, perhaps, one of the most awesome trips to the thrift store ever last week. For under $15, I scored two skirts for myself (one from my favorite local store, with the tags still attached), a 1 quart All-Clad saucepan (!), a Ten Thousand Villages basket, an adorable little tea cup for Silas (when he's ready to take tea with me -- I have very fond memories of the tiny teacup that was my first), and a tray and some Silas-sized glass vessels to do some pouring activities. A productive trip, indeed.

I've read that in the Montessori tradition, 15 months or so marks an important shift from exploration of the world to a desire to do meaningful work and I really am starting to see the first inklings of this in how Silas interacts with his surroundings. He is so very interested in what I do in the kitchen and wants to help. He especially loves stirring things and helping me tear lettuce. I am in love with The Learning Tower and similar platforms to help get him up to counter level so that he can help safely. Does anyone have one? Do you like it? 

7 comments:

  1. A very productive trip indeed. I so love thrifting. It doesn't matter what you get, it's always a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's so true! Lots and lots of stirring in my kitchen! That's the time to bake cookies with your child, it is so much fun to give them a rolling pin.. Flour is everywhere, but who cares. It's just lovely. I'm happy I lost my rolling pin once, I bought a new one and found the old one when moving. She loves it to have the same, big one as mama does. Enjoy cooking together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely shopping trip you had! I am always amazed at the wonderful items I find while thrifting. Thrifting is the only shopping I really like doing, well, that and now yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful finds...I love thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello! stumbled upon your space via soulemama! i couldn't live without our learning tower. it is used all day long, every day. we actually made our own following these instructions
    http://ana-white.com/2010/12/helping-tower.html
    and it came out fabulous. if you or someone you know is handy with screwguns and saws i definitely recommend her instructions. but knowing what i know now about how much we use it, i would definitely buy one if we hadn't made one (i was shyed away by the purchase price at the time). it would have been worth every penny!

    and awesome thrift store finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your input and for the building instructions! I'm convinced that we need some sort of learning tower...now it's just deciding which route to go. I need to find someone handy! :)

      Delete